K & N clamp ons (pods) ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K & N clamp ons (pods) ?'s

has anyone here had any experienc getting 4 indivual clamp on filters to fit on their bike. i have a gs 550 and am installing a stage 3 jet kit and 4 to 1. i like the look of 4 indivual tapered pods one for each carb, but am worried my frame will get in the way of the filters for carbs 1 and 4. i'm going to try to make a mock filter with the size and style filter k & n makes to see if it will fit. If anyone has any insider info i would apprecate it before i made this thing.

ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Pods.....

First timer:
    Alot of guys wind up putting 'pod' style filters on because they DO fit into the space allotted and the factory airbox usually won't @#$%& fit back into place!
    Rick.......

Comment

i was also hopeing to get some opions too. k and n has a filter for my bike sez it will fit but 2 carbs share one filter and i rather not do that. lets hope i have enought room to fit some of those buggers in
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x

Comment

The pod filters mean that you will have to jet accordingly, and sometimes that is a tricky business. I took the pods off my bike (they were fitted when I bought it) and went back to the standard filter box (not too difficult to fit, but can be tricky).

If the pods don't fit the frame they are easy to cut to suit. Just cut through the mesh in front of the end cap to the length you need. Warm the glue and remove the mesh in the cap. Compress the existing mesh to fit the cap and reglue with epoxy.

A slight difference in length should not interfere with the jetting, but a major difference might mean that all pods should be re-sized evenly before re-jetting. Alternately, cut a hole in the end cap of the shorter pods and cover it with more mesh.

You will find it easier to cut the mesh with the cap in place. With no cap the mesh will move around and you will not get a clean cut.

Kim

Comment

If you really want individuals, and want to save a buck, go with UNI pods instead. They don't look quite as cool as the K&N because of the foam element, but then, they cost half as much too.

Comment

If the K&N's are the tapered type, they should fit. Had a set on my '78 GS550.

Comment

Two filters for 4 carbs? Sounds like the 83 to 86 jet kit which had 2 2 barrel carbs. Maybe double check and make sure the jet kit is for 82 and older. Better safe than sorry...

Comment

I have a set of the UNI pods and I think they look good and they are at least half as much as the K&N. I payed just around 80.00 for mine.

Greg

Comment

gary,
                  were the filters the (ru-2580) 2" flange with a 3 1/8" large dia and 2" small dia by 3" length. or the (ru-1350) 2 1/16 flange with a 3 1/4 x 3 with a 4" length.

the jet kit i have is for the 82 kat with the four bs32 carbs the filters that they they had listed for my bike were for the 82 kat with 4 carbs. they were two filters 1 for 2 carbs and each filter has two seprate openings for each carb.

thanks for the reply's keep them coming

ryan
                  82 Kat 1000 Project
                  05 CRF450x

Comment

Working...
                  X