Some carb info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some carb info

I was looking to get some general carb info either directly or links please. I am trying to tune my carbs to get rid of decel/steady throttle popping/farting.

Whenever I get an extra $80 I will order a colortune but who knows how long that will take :P

I have a crappy aftermarket 4 - 2 exhaust with no crossover.

What I need to figure out is what each of those little carb internals pieces are for and how changing them/adjusting them changes things. For instance I have some shorter needles that came with the diaphragms I got from someone here. Should I try those? What does that do?

things we need to know:

when is your bike popping?.. rpm? under load?

have you done a plug read? to tell if your running rich or lean?

the two biggest adjustments you can do on your carbs are the pilot jets and the main jets. the main jets are located inside the float bowls.

Things to try/check

are your exhausts sealed to the headers? new exhaust seals might be in order.
    - low pressure on the exhaust can cause popping/farting/back-fires
    if your exhaust is not providing enough back pressure.. try putting a constricting plate on the end of it.

happy riding!

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by BentRod View Post
      things we need to know:

when is your bike popping?.. rpm? under load?

have you done a plug read? to tell if your running rich or lean?

the two biggest adjustments you can do on your carbs are the pilot jets and the main jets. the main jets are located inside the float bowls.

Things to try/check

are your exhausts sealed to the headers? new exhaust seals might be in order.
      - low pressure on the exhaust can cause popping/farting/back-fires
      if your exhaust is not providing enough back pressure.. try putting a constricting plate on the end of it.

happy riding!

Kevin
      Bike pops on deceleration and at steady RPMS while riding it. Not at idle
      Plugs are rich

Which jets should I replace? Why?

New exhaust gaskets are installed.
      Hmmm whats a constriction plate and does it work on a turn out muffler?

Comment

You also want to check for air leaks on the intake side. I had a similar issue that was fixed by new intake o-rings.

Comment

Originally posted by emjay View Post
          You also want to check for air leaks on the intake side. I had a similar issue that was fixed by new intake o-rings.
          Brand new O-Rings, carb boots, AirBox boots and OEM airbox

Comment

Originally posted by mortation View Post
            Brand new O-Rings, carb boots, AirBox boots and OEM airbox
            Well, you're way ahead of me then. Still, it sounds like a leak either at the exhaust or intake. If you're sure the exhaust is tight you may want to double check the intake. I know I've had to redo mine before.

Comment

Originally posted by emjay View Post
              Well, you're way ahead of me then. Still, it sounds like a leak either at the exhaust or intake. If you're sure the exhaust is tight you may want to double check the intake. I know I've had to redo mine before.
              Yea I have checked my intake so many times it aint funny. At least 10 - 15 times. Pulled it all apart sprayed it with WD40, water, then a friggen garden hose. I am basically at one of two things:

1) My cams a re slightly off - But dont think so. My issue matches many others with decel popping on aftermarket exhausts
              2) Not enough back pressure in the pipes because they suck lol

Of course they are not 100% tuned right now either. Way to rich. I wish I had a color tune to set them then rebalance or another set of carbs to see if its a carb issue.

Comment

Working...
              X