Carb leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb leak

O.k. I've been working out some of the gremlins living in my bike and I have one that is keeping me from riding now. I have a fuel leak that is coming from between carbs 1 and 2. It is not coming from the overflow but rather looks like it is coming from the transfer tube. Kinda hard to see and it only leaks while running. My question is, (and I haven't been able to see it on carb breakdown) are there o-rings on the transfer tubes? I would like to source them before tearing them apart if so. If there aren't o-rings, how do I seal them? Thanks guys.
    Dave

Originally posted by IDGS View Post
    O.k. I've been working out some of the gremlins living in my bike and I have one that is keeping me from riding now. I have a fuel leak that is coming from between carbs 1 and 2. It is not coming from the overflow but rather looks like it is coming from the transfer tube. Kinda hard to see and it only leaks while running. My question is, (and I haven't been able to see it on carb breakdown) are there o-rings on the transfer tubes? I would like to source them before tearing them apart if so. If there aren't o-rings, how do I seal them? Thanks guys.
    Dave
    Yes there are O-Rings there. You can get a complete O-Ring set from http://www.cycleorings.com/ he uses this forum very often as well. I used him and so didnt many others.

Comment

If you still have the original transfer tubes, they are covered with a rubbery vinyl that covers the o-rings and makes them look like bumps on the tube. I have seen some success by wrapping a few turns of Teflon tape around the o-ring area and re-inserting the tube. Note that this is only a stop-gap measure that will work until you get your new o-rings, but it will keep you riding. 8-[

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

On my 650 (which was the last bank I fully dismantled) the middle tube was a molded plastic type of material (delrin? nylon?). The outside tubes were metal with o-rings. Never had trouble with the molded one, but Robert Barr's kit fixed the leaky outside tubes.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

O.K. while I am at it, does the '83 16 valve have o-rings on the intake?

Comment

Originally posted by IDGS View Post
              O.K. while I am at it, does the '83 16 valve have o-rings on the intake?
              Not the 1100.
              and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
              __________________________________________________ ______________________
              2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Working...
              X