Regulator/Rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regulator/Rectifier

If a bike with about 5k miles has already gone thru 3 RR, what is likely the cause them not lasting. I have a 1982 GS1100E that is in great shape but I need to get the bugs worked out of it before I start taking too far from home.

How does buying Electrex stuff compare to those that have used Honda or Kawi RR's?[/url]

from my work with this i would say check you wiring from you alternator(stator) some time the wires get broken and short the regulator! the other it the alternator has gone to the scrap yard in the sky and is doing the same as the wiring would

hope this helps

Comment

Your R/R should only have 5 wires (assuming 1 wire is ground). 3 come from the stator, 1 to ground and 1 to hot (12VDC). A R/R that is working properly should be charging the battery at around 14.5 VDC.

Comment

Ignition woes

Everything is working fine now!

I followed the green wire out of the stator thru a bullet conn etc all the way to a connector behind the headlight. There it was jumpered and changed to a wht/red wire and went all the back to the RR. I shortened the trip for that circuit. I made a new connector that takes the stator wires directly to the RR. I put a ground jumper from the frame to the rubber mounted plate that the RR mounts to also. I think the second one is a biggie! For all the locations where elect stuff mounts (RR,starter relay,grounds) and I used a wire wheel on a dremel tool and removed paint and rust. I also used dielectric grease on all the same wires to prevent corossion

3 wires from the stator, 1 ground then what is the red wire, output right? Why isnt it larger ga wire? I would think that would be about 14ga. Anyhow, I now have 13.85v at idle on up.

I had the whole darn harness out and re-taped it, cleaned all connectors with electric contact spray cleaner and pushed all female bullets together for a tighter contact on those.

All the information on this site and electrexusa was great! I am just a few minor problems shy of being streetable with this bike that hasnt seen the road in over ten years. Thanks to all!

Comment

Working...
        X