Starting in Neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting in Neutral

I assume there is some kind of safety mechanism that keps my GS1100gk from starting unless the clutch lever is pulled as I cannot start without doing this when in neutral. Is this correct? Can I override this? The choke lever is gone and I must choke it using my free hand (no free hand when I have to pull the clutch lever). Would love to find a choke lever but, have not been able to do so. TIA

well you can cut and connect the wires that go to the clutch safety switch or you can get a good old fashioned cloths pin and stick it in the choke lincage to hold the choke on. when the engine warms up you clip the cloths pin on the clutch cable.

Comment

Thanks Focus

Thanks. This bike is the latest model year that I have owned. Guess I'm a dinosaur. Time to get with the program, I guess. I think I'll try to find those wires and take that route.

Comment

No need to cut any wires. :shock:

Follow the wires from the clutch switch into the headlight housing. Remove the wires on the switch side from the wires on the main harnes side of the connections. Re-connect the wires on the main harness side to each other. Now you don't have to pull the clutch in any gear.

Take this as a warning, IT WILL NOW START IN ANY GEAR. :shock:

Be careful, make sure it's in neutral before hitting the starter button.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Many thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X