Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'81 GS750L will not start... (I know this is probably the 100,00th post like this)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 GS750L will not start... (I know this is probably the 100,00th post like this)

So a friend of a friend recently gave me a 1981 GS750L. He told me that there was bad wiring somewhere on the bike. I have done a brief search on the forums already for help to no avail (I will do a more thorough search later tonight).

Anyway, I charged the battery and I turned the ignition to on, flipped the kill switch to run and hit the start button. Then nothing. The engine does not crank, the headlight does not dim, nothing happens.

I will be checking the wires later for a short or a ground (thought I'd get some responses here in the meantime).

Some particulars that I hope will help:

1. It has 13,000 miles
    2. When the ignition is on the headlight turns on, however the turn signals, tail light, brake light and horn do not function
    3. The bike had been sitting for a year under a carport.
    4. I did change the oil and filter just prior to trying to start the bike
    5. I have pulled in the clutch handle also when starting

Thank you
    Last edited by Guest; 09-27-2007, 07:54 PM. Reason: left out some information

There should be a switch in the clutch handle. Pull in the clutch handle and then hit the starter button. See if that works.

Comment

clutch handle

Thank you, yes I have tried pulling in the clutch handle as well.

Comment

Did you check all the fuses? Did you try and jump the bike by bypassing the start button?

Comment

Clean the kill switch. Go crazy with cleaning all connections and using dielectric grease on all of them. This includes all grounds and battery connections, solenoid, starter, headlight bucket................
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hey howdy hey!

Mr. tangysauce151,

Yet another free bike makes itself known. I should be so lucky. Anyway...

Let it be known that on this day you are hereby cordially and formally welcomed to the GSR Forum as a Junior Member in good standing with all the rights and privileges thereof. You have the right to ask silly questions that have been answered hundreds of times before, as long as you show us some pictures of your bike. :-D

The good folk here are teaching me to be a better motorcycle mechanic and a better motorcycle rider. Thanks for joining us.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            (The unofficial GSR greeter)

Comment

Working...
            X