Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

oil leak right at shifter,from where????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil leak right at shifter,from where????

I have a little oil on the shifter where it connects to the rod.Is there an oil seal right there in the case that the shifter lever is attached to the shift rod? It is not the shifter seal on the crankcase im talking about but where the shaft goes thru the sidecase and the shift lever meet. I hope I explained that well enough.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-28-2007, 09:50 PM.

Originally posted by tconroy View Post
    I have a little oil on the shifter where it connects to the rod.Is there an oil seal right there in the case that the shifter lever is attached to the shift rod? It is not the shifter seal on the crankcase im talking about but where the shaft goes thru the sidecase and the shift lever meet. I hope I explained that well enough.
    Shift shaft seal is common leak. Also, clutch push rod seal. Easy repair. Pry out old seal and press in new one. Some people shoot a screw into the seal to help them get a grip before they wrench it out. Lots of info in the archive.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

There is also a seal behind the counter sprocket.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

That is usually oil from the chain being thrown on the cases and running along the shaft.

Comment

same thing, not what you'd think

I have the same bike and had oil leaking in the same place. But when I replaced the alternator/starter-gears cover gasket, it stopped, so I assume it was blowing back from there.

Comment

I've got a 650g that is leaking at the same spot, along with a great number of other places. Remove the gear shift lever and then remove the side panel to get a better look at the leak. The panel is just held by 4 screws. Apply some talc or foot powder to area, start engine, watch for oil leak.

I would have to agree with rkubik, it is most likely a alternator gasket failure. On mine, I have oil coming from about everywhere, oil pan, cases, gear shaft seal, and so on. Its okay in that I add about 12 ounces oil per tank of gas, roughly 30:1 ratio. This is what leaving gasoline in the oil over long period of time will do to seals. Bike runs great, will most likely get torn apart over winter to fix leaks.

Comment

In the same boat as Waterman!

My 650G probably isn't leaking as badly as yours but will be getting some TLC over the winter as well. Gotta replace my Stator (again) so will probably be also tackling as many other things as I feel comfortable with like:

- replace rubber hoses on either side of the carbs...
              - cam tensioner thingy has always been covered with goo...replace that gasket
              - oil pan gasket probably ought to be replace
              - probably should replace the head gasket as well. Thats the one that scares me the most...

Comment

I replaced my stator 3 month ago and it has no leaks anywhere around it.I just took the shifter off and side cover and there is no oil anywhere! I rode 50 miles today and got home to check everything in the area out that would leak.Still no oil anywhere!I must have got oil under the side cove from the funnel I used to drain the oil from the tranny side.I will keep an eye on it for sure.Thanks for all the info guy's!Sometime these bikes can drive you nut's!

Comment

Working...
                X