Help! The Bike Died!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! The Bike Died!

Hey everybody....anybody want a gs650 before I push it off a bridge into the ohio river?

Anyway, tonight I was riding on the highway and the bike was extremely sluggish, I couldn't even get it up to 65 and it was also surging a little bit because I think there is an air leak somewhere. I started dropping hard and pulled off the highway and my brand new battery was dead (I assume that has little/no relation to the mechanical issue however). I was able to push start the bike and when I did that it started backfiring out of the left pipe about 6-7 times and I was able to ride it to safety in a parking lot with the revs really high. As soon as I let off the revs the bike died.

What do I have to fix this time?

Oh, also anybody who has a truck ramp they would rent in the Cincinnati area, let me know.....
    Last edited by Guest; 09-28-2007, 08:16 PM.

Sorry you're having troubles - it sucks when you have a (come on, sing it with me now), "dead, bike, in the middle of the road, stinkin' to high, high heaven".

You didn't say much about the overall condition of your bike, but I assume you've recently cleaned the carbs, adjusted the valves, checked the electrical system & coils, etc...

Anyway... my "82 650G had several of those episodes & the problem turned out to be a very rusty fuel tank letting a very fine sediment into the carbs. Plugged up the pilot jets & I had to re-clean them all.

Pull off a carb bowl & see if there's sediment or worse in there.

I installed a purolator F211214 fuel filter (not a motorcycle type filter, but small enough to fit under the tank) to make sure that didn't happen again, as the tank is still leeching out rust.

This of course may not be your problem, but it's something to check.
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Re-charge your battery, check your electrical connections from the handlebar on back. If the bike will start, see if your exhaust headers warm up evenly......you may have dropped a couple of cylinders. Pull the plugs and see what color they are.

Comment

Died on the road,ew, not good.
        Cinci area has that place that I remember, about 3 interstates that come together right before going acrost bridge to KY. If your bike quit right there I suspect it unlikley that neither you or the bike whould have survived.

Sounds like a charging system problem is why battery going dead. Need to trouble shoot that. Will need a multi meter.

ANd the charging system problem is seperate from most of the other problems of how the engine is running.

PS I had an 82 650G for about 20 years (Pic on my webpage). I understand it went to southern Ohio or northern KY, hum......

Last edited by Redman; 09-29-2007, 11:19 AM.
        http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Drop me a PM or e-mail with a phone number, we can arrange a time to work on your bike. 8-[

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X