oil light question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil light question

The bike, an 1982 GS1100G. The behavior , when I pull in the clutch lever the oil light comes on. Now at first I thought this was about oil pressure, but it clearly is tied to my clutch lever. I even did tests like idleing in nuetral, no oil light, pull in clutch oil light. Ride along and shift oil light, Watch the RPMS and keep them up, no difference. Of course I changed oil fearing it was an oil pressure thing but I am confident I have a ground or short issue. Maybe a piece of strategically placed black tape will fix it.

Purpose of the post. Any one else have this kind of experience and know the fix? If not I will just have to hunt it down so I am hoping someone elses experience can save me some time.

The switch on the clutch closes when you pull it...
    The oil pressure switch closes when there's no pressure...
    Maybe the two wires got swapped, or burned together, or just worn together until they shorted?

I would look inside the headlight bucket for a start.

Does the oil pressure light come on like it should when the engine is stopped with the ignition on?

You do have a multi-meter I trust?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

yeah I have a multimeter. I also have a vetter fairing on the bike so the headlight bucket approach is a little different but I will indeed explore.

Comment

the routing of the clutch cable puts it real close to the oil pressure switch and sometimes they rub together till they wear out the outer cover of the cable and when you pull the clutch in flexes in and grounds the oil pressure switch wire. been there done that and know of others that have had the same problem.

also technically it is not a oil pressure switch, it is a oil flow switch, it uses a metal cap that covers the oil pump discharge port, the spring tension is so light that the slightest flow lights the cap and breaks the connection.

Comment

All good guesses ... here is another.

You mention a Vetter fairing. That means that the wiring in the headlight bucket has been played with.
          Double-check it. It sounds to me like a couple of wires got crossed.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The truth is I replaced the clutch cable on the side of the road when I was traveling to NC in June. The likelihood of the cable being routed , not its most perfect, is well at least possible if not likely and will be where I put my primary focus, at least intially.

Thanks for your thoughts

Comment

Working...
            X