Anyone ever had an overheating issue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever had an overheating issue...

from painting your case covers or heads?? I know alot come from the factory with paint, but generally its only about 3mil, and you wont get that from a rattle can. Ive seen it done a million times, but ive also heard a couple people say it caused overheating problems afterwards. Thoughts?

Thanks
    TCK

I painted my wife's engine, but never did temp comparisons, so I don't know if there is an issue.

IGNORANCE IS BLISS ... and BOY, am I happy. \\/

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Haha! Then i live in a utopia!! BTW i swapped those plugs around like we talked about Steve and rode for about 3 hours today...still gettin that smoke, but once she's up to temp the idle seems to have smoothed out a bit. I pulled them once she cooled down and number three is still wet, and still black. All the others are dry and a bit on the ashy side, but no real blackness to speak of. Im stoked about sortin this out man thanks again for the help!!

TCK

Comment

Suzuki paints the engine silver, it's not bare aluminum.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Right, and as I stated the factory paint is usually only about 3mil thick, so it doesnt really interfere with heat transfer. It would be near impossible to get only a 3mil coating with a rattlecan paint, so my wonder is if those of us who have painted their case and/or head with say 500o ceramic engine paint have ever had any overheat problems. :shock:

Comment

Clean the #3 plug again. Disconnect the vacuum to petcock & plug the line. Then run the bike on prime.(don't forget to turn to On when you shut it off) Let it cool & recheck the plug !!! It could be a petcock issue

Comment

Eh?? If it was a petcock issue wouldnt they all be wet?? If not explain this to me...

Thanks!

TCK

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                Eh?? If it was a petcock issue wouldnt they all be wet?? If not explain this to me...

Thanks!

TCK
                the #3 carb supplies vacuum to the petcock. If its sucking gas instead of air, that could cause your problem.

Comment

Right, and as I stated the factory paint is usually only about 3mil thick, so it doesnt really interfere with heat transfer. It would be near impossible to get only a 3mil coating with a rattlecan paint, so my wonder is if those of us who have painted their case and/or head with say 500o ceramic engine paint have ever had any overheat problems. :shock:
                  I've painted my 850 and 1000 engine with the ceramic paint. Didn't notice any overheating issues. But again, South Mississippi is hot as H### May, June, July, Aug, most of Sept, and some of Oct.

I didn't really "coat it heavy". Just spritzed it lightly to clean up the looks.

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
                    the #3 carb supplies vacuum to the petcock. If its sucking gas instead of air, that could cause your problem.
                    Ahhh...That i did not know...i still have a bit to learn about carb issues...motors, if it breaks i can fix it, but carbs make me want to commit acts of violence..not really. but yanno what i mean

Comment

the vacume line is on #2, you count from the left side as you are sitting on the bike.

Comment

Well then thats not it. #3 is the wet one...so im back to square one. Thankfully, Steve is coming to help me do a valve job on the bugger and then maybe help balance the carbs...im feeling thats probably going to take care of it. We'll see tho.

Comment

Well then thats not it. #3 is the wet one...so im back to square one. Thankfully, Steve is coming to help me do a valve job on the bugger and then maybe help balance the carbs...im feeling thats probably going to take care of it. We'll see tho.
                          I'm assuming that the bike we're talking about is your '77 GS750? If so it has VM carbs. The vacuum line would be #3 as far as I know. The BS series came in 1980.....its vacuum line is #2. Maybe I'm missing something here?
                          Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2007, 11:55 PM.

Comment

yeah 77, VM26SS carbs. So the vac line is on 3 on those? Man if that is indeed the case, that would explain alot. I just couldnt see one of four carbs being rich. And if i test it on prime it wont breathe the gas from the vac line right? And if thats the case a petcock replacement should fix it?

Comment

yeah 77, VM26SS carbs. So the vac line is on 3 on those? Man if that is indeed the case, that would explain alot. I just couldnt see one of four carbs being rich. And if i test it on prime it wont breathe the gas from the vac line right? And if thats the case a petcock replacement should fix it?
                              On VM carbs #2 and #4 nipples vent to air. #3 is the vacuum line. #1 does not have a nipple.

I'm not excatly sure what you mean, but your vacuum line should have no gas getting into it, no matter what your petcock is set to. The easiest way to test it would be to set your petcock to "run" and either suck on the vacuum line, or apply vacuum in some other way. Gas should start flowing through the petcock. No gas should be coming through the vacuum line........on any setting.

Not saying its the problem, but it is a possibility in this case.

Comment

Working...
                              X