What oil to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What oil to use?

The GS is getting ready for an oil change, I was wondering what some of you use? Has anyone gone with synthetic or any of the newer motorcycle oils, or just regular 10W-30 like the manual calls for?
    Thanks for the advice,
    filerj:-D

Aaaaaaand they're off...........................
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Oh lord...

First off...
      EVERYONE!!! RESIST!!!! I'm calling it right now... no brand loyalty promotion.

filerj, this is a topic that ranks up there with religion and politics.. it's a very large, messy arguement.

I would recommend to you the search function provided for the forums. There is a lot of info on this subject.

Also check out the main page, and go to the GS Garage. There is a fairly good article in there about oil composition and evaluation.

some oils are to be avoided, as they can strip your clutch. you can find them through the search as well.

Comment

Originally posted by filerj View Post
        The GS is getting ready for an oil change, I was wondering what some of you use? Has anyone gone with synthetic or any of the newer motorcycle oils, or just regular 10W-30 like the manual calls for?
        Thanks for the advice,
        Manual calls for 10w-40. Lot of people using synthetic with good results.

At the risk of sound unhelpful...please use the search function for this topic. You will turn up TONS of information covering every possible angle of the topic...plus some I suspect you never thought of.

Good luck.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks for the advice,
          Hi filerj

Can you believe you are the first person ever to ask this question?

:arrow:Try here!!

Comment

Just dont use Automotive oil or you risk ruining your clutch due to the slippage caused by the possible presence of friction modifiers. Some have them, some dont.

Whatever brand you use, just make sure you put at least 10-40 in it. I tend to run 20-50 in my bikes since I only really ride in summer and its hot and humid as hell here then.

Comment

Oil

I use 15-40 Rotella T diesel oil in all my bikes with a wet clutch. Smooth shifts and quiet running. Nothing better that I've ever found.

Comment

I just threw in the Rotella 5 40 syn in the blue jug.

No slippage and no leaks...

Grandpa has 122000 miles on his GS and he will tell you that he has no brand loyalty and the most important fact is to change your oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Adler45 View Post
                  Just dont use Automotive oil or you risk ruining your clutch due to the slippage caused by the possible presence of friction modifiers. Some have them, some dont.

Only low viscosity oils that qualify as "energy saving" have the friction modifiers in them - 10W-40 is safe.

The reason to question automotive oils is because they don't have very much zinc in them anymore which helps protect the valvetrain.

Diesel engine oils have more of the good stuff in them because diesel's don't use catalytic converters - concern over cat life is why auto oils have had the zinc content reduced.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

oil ?

wel im gonna try the rotella ..

in my tires as bass cleft says hes useing synth ..(i think)

so im gonna one up him and have quiter tires!

take that bass cleft !

Comment

I’ve been using the Rotella-T 5-40 synthetic for a couple years, maybe 4-5 oil changes. Seems fine. No leaks, smooth shifts, probably burn about a pint in 2000 miles, which is approximately nothing.

I'm pretty minimal about maintaining my bike, incluisng claening it. the main thing is regular (2000-2500 mile) oil changes AND......very important.......ride it a lot. Everyday is good, with that couple months off in the winter. Not riding a bike is about the worst thing you can do to it.
                      "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Sorry everybody

Didn't realize this was going to cause aproblem, I'll use the search and pick up the info, thanks for not giving this newbie too hard of a time.
                        Thanks
                        filerj

Comment

Search really helps

I just used the search feature and found answers to my oil question\\/, in the future I'll check out the search links before I post a question, thanks again for the info though. I really enjoy going through this site.
                          filerj

Comment

Don't worry about it. We're happy to go around again.

Of course, there's no possible excuse for using anything other than the most expensive full synthetic oil you can find :-D:-D:-D

Comment

Which oil in which tires?

Thanks for the advice,

I plead the 5th, or is that drink a fifth while we go over this again?

Use what you want, change it often. It don't much matter. There's really no need to pay for top-dollar "motorcycle oil". And no "Enerty Saving" oil. It's too slick for clutches.

Originally posted by marz
                              wel im gonna try the rotella ..

in my tires as bass cleft says hes useing synth ..(i think)

so im gonna one up him and have quiter tires!

take that bass cleft !
                              The oil you put in your tires lasts a lot longer than the oil you put in your engine. I should get over 10,000 miles on my tire oil, long enough to last the life of the tire. I don't think the oil lasts as long in Cheng Shin tires as it does in the Pirelli tires. Of course, if you spill halogen fluid from your headlight into your tire oil, all bets are off!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                              (I use 10w-40 Castrol Syntech blend)

Comment

Working...
                              X