What oil to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
    I plead the 5th, or is that drink a fifth while we go over this again?

Use what you want, change it often. It don't much matter. There's really no need to pay for top-dollar "motorcycle oil". And no "Enerty Saving" oil. It's too slick for clutches.

The oil you put in your tires lasts a lot longer than the oil you put in your engine. I should get over 10,000 miles on my tire oil, long enough to last the life of the tire. I don't think the oil lasts as long in Cheng Shin tires as it does in the Pirelli tires. Of course, if you spill halogen fluid from your headlight into your tire oil, all bets are off!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    (I use 10w-40 Castrol Syntech blend)
    I have never heard so much garbage in my entire life.

Everyone knows you put halogen in your tires, and dealer recommended oil in the headlamp.

For Gawds Sake :-D:-D:-D

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      ......Diesel engine oils have more of the good stuff in them because diesel's don't use catalytic converters....
      ? Look under any stock VW TDI or Freightliner Sprinter van, Diesel Benz etc built within the past 20 years or so and you'll see a converter, trust me. Not the same converter as a gasser though.

Signed: GSR member who lives in one of the other 4 CARB states where we can't buy new Diesel cars!
      Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2007, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottMc1100L View Post
        Signed: GSR member who lives in one of the other 4 CARB states where we can't buy new Diesel cars!
        Why?????????????????:shock:
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottMc1100L View Post
          ? Look under any stock VW TDI or Freightliner Sprinter van, Diesel Benz etc built within the past 20 years or so and you'll see a converter, trust me. Not the same converter as a gasser though.

Cat on an oil burner? Thanks for straightening me out on that.

I've been reading that their is a new diesel oil standard which had something to do with new emissions standards for 2007. New formulation have less zinc than the old stuff...which is not good news for us motorcycle guys.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

o.k. this is it why did i spend 2 dats farting around changing engines..

how bout this i messed up caring that blody engine down stairs..

so now im gonna put vegtable oil in the engine halogen in the tires and rotella on the bread and mayonasie sarnies ,and ill drink the 5 w 30 with that ..
            (dont walk down stairs with a 750 engine un less youre more stupid than me..
            :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Cat on an oil burner? Thanks for straightening me out on that.

I've been reading that their is a new diesel oil standard which had something to do with new emissions standards for 2007. New formulation have less zinc than the old stuff...which is not good news for us motorcycle guys.
              I've reviewed plenty of newer Rotella UOA's and the zinc level seems to be good and plenty in the Rotella 5 and 15 formula's.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                Why?????????????????:shock:
                You tell me, YOUR state started it:razz:! We're just following along for some reason

Nessism, they've got EGR valves too, liquid cooled even! All in attempts to keep the NOx levels at bay.

Comment

Working...
                X