Rebuilding brakes - Qiuck question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilding brakes - Qiuck question

I have an 82 GS1100E (chain drive). I'm rebuilding the brakes: changing seals, new pads, general clean-up. Can someone explain the rasoning for the complex set of brake hoses that go to the front assembly? Is there a simpler, cleaner way of running brake lines from the master cylinder? I've thought of trying to get a longer banjo bolt and just running 2 lines direct from the master cylinder to each of the calipers. Does this seem possible?

Thanks,
    Brian

I think this has been done by guys that want to simplify the arrangement or cut the costs of Stainless Steel lines. I think I have seen GSXR race bikes with this setup, so it's probably OK.

To be sure however, you better rely only on the word of those who have actually performed and used the modification sucessfully.

Tomcat

Comment

Originally posted by baco99 View Post
      I have an 82 GS1100E (chain drive). I'm rebuilding the brakes: changing seals, new pads, general clean-up. Can someone explain the rasoning for the complex set of brake hoses that go to the front assembly? Is there a simpler, cleaner way of running brake lines from the master cylinder? I've thought of trying to get a longer banjo bolt and just running 2 lines direct from the master cylinder to each of the calipers. Does this seem possible?

Thanks,
      Brian
      Yes, you can run two lines direct. I have it on my 82 1100E and it is a significant improvement. Much easier to bleed with far less agony than the stock setup. My kit came from Galfer and the price was quite reasonable, too. It was only slightly higher than what kits for current sportbikes were going for at the time, which was WAY cheaper than any other options I could find. Oh, I also blanked off the anti-dive units at the same time, which is another major improvement over the old stock set up.

Mark

Comment

what's the anti-dive unit?

Comment

what's the anti-dive unit?
          Follow your brake line from the master cylinder to the caliper. The hose continues to a little doo-dad on the fork leg. That is the anti-dive unit. When pressure is applied to the brakes, it is also applied to the anti-dive unit, which changes the compression damping so the bike does not dive (as much) under braking. Many have found that their bikes work better by bypassing this unit. To bypass it, you will need a bolt and gasket to plug the anti-dive hole and move the original bolt from the anti-dive unit to the caliper. (When you remove the second brake line from the caliper, you will need a shorter bolt.) Neither one of my GS bikes has this feature, so I can not tell you from experience.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

got it. thanks!

Comment

any reasonably priced front pads out there? the rears are easy to find, but the fronts seem to be a bit more rare...

Comment

Both Vesrah and EBC make the pads. Here is a link to BikeBandit, which carries the EBC.

Opinions are mixed as to which are better, probably depending on your riding style.

Comment

i'm going with EBC all around. the price is right.

Comment

I've got a pair of 'hell' brake lines on the GSF1200 which was the same set up as the GS1000e. One line from the master cylinder to a splitter the two lines down to the front callipers.

It you've got anti dive you can get replacement lines made up for them. Being braided they do not allow the pressure to push the pipe out which is what happens on the older rubber brake lines.

Its a question of personal taste......

Pads are 10 a penny here in the UK....

Suzuki mad

Comment

got it. thanks!
                      If you decide to keep the anti-dive unit (not sure why you would want to, but each his own), make sure you bleed/flush them thoroughly. Mine had the nastiest looking brake fluid I have ever seen come out when I flushed them before blanking them completely.

Also note that you need to regularly bleed your brakes. On mine, I do it every spring and try for once more in the season. I ALWAYS seem to have a couple of bubbles come out. My new bikes do not do this, but the 1100E does. Perhaps it's time for a caliper rebuild this winter...

Mark

Comment

I think I'm going to by-pass the anti-dive unit. Going to get 2 blank bolts and use the crush washers that are there. I also think I can use the extended banjo bolt from one of the calipers up at the master cylinder to run my new SS lines direct from the master. So, all I need is a set of SS lines with the proper fittings and I'm good to go.

Will try and post pictures of the install if that's helpful.

Comment

do you think it i got three 40" long SS lines, i'd be OK for all three calipers? i measured the lines quickly and they range from 38" to 42" with some slack here and there.

any harm in getting a line that's 4-6" too long?

Comment

OK, my lines will be in on the 19th. Just rebuilt both front calipers and the rear caliper. Cleaned everything up and put in new EBC organic brake pads. The front left and rear pads were down to the metal! (maybe that's why the stopping power seemed weak!)

i have a feeling with pads and new lines the bike will be great on the road.

Comment

OK, i installed the lines, replaced all the seals, and put the whole kit back together. the rear brakes are working great. nice and solid feel with no excess lockup. the fronts, however, still feel soft. i bled the system and can't see any more air coming out. i replaced the front lines with a double-banjo fitting from the master cylinder and lines that go directly to the calipers. i'm bypassing the anti-dive thingie.

could there be air somewhere and i don't know it? or could the master cylinder plunger be leaking? i don't see anything dripping, but maybe it's not building pressure? the brakes work, but you have to squeez the lever 90% before they start to engage.

any help would be great.

thanks,
                              brian

Comment

Working...
                              X