• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000G - BS34SS Carbs - Pilot Screw Setting

Hi all,

Been searching for the setting of the Pilot screws on 1980 GS1000G,
    BS34SS CV Carbs.

I read the Carb cleaning procedures and performed it on my carbs.
    Upon taking out the pilot air screws,
    #1 was out 1/4 turn
    #2 was out 1-1/2 turns
    #3 wa out 3/4 turn
    #4 was out 1 turn.

Hmm...doesn't sound right and it ran junky anyways.
    So, searching the archives, I came up with:
    The 'pilot screw' is 'factory preset' according to the manual, but ours were about 1-5/8 turns out (CCW) from fully seated...fully seated being just gently bottomed out. This is actually a gas/air mix which is controlled
    by this screw, affecting the idle/slow system. Experience shows that screwing it in (CW) leans out the mix, and conversely, screwing it out (CCW) richens the mix.
    Someone else mentioned that they started with theirs 2 turns out and adjusted from there.
    The service manual says to set them at 3.5 turns

My delima is, ttart at 3.5 turns out, or 2 turns out?
    Should they be about 1-5/8 turns out when adjusted properly?

I take it when I'm adjusting them that I'm looking for the best idle speed
    without adjusting the throttle plates (eg. base idle with the knob)

3.5 turns out seems a bit too much...i would start at 1.5-2 then take a ride for a while (more that just a few miles) after the ride you can check the spark plug condition to see if you are running rich or lean (black sooty plugs- rich, extreme white-lean, gray or rusty brown-correct)

Comment

Did it work? Mine runs rich too, I changed out the head gasket and the faces of the intake/exhaust valves were carboned up and flaky, so I need to reset my screws.

Comment

have to remember guys...any carb setting info is just a starting point..there are many variables that affect fuel burning...if you think that you have the carbs really close and you are still getting the same results you might want to start looking at the ignition (coils, plug wires, etc.)

Comment

Hmmm...somebody edited this thread and took many posts out.
          I finally got the carbs rebuilt.

Started with the pilot air screws two turns out, but it would not rev up.
          I riched each one 1/4 turn to 2 1/4 out, and it seems to be doing ok.
          I just got the oil cooler on and the new tires, so test ride is this friday.
          I'll keep you all up to date.

Comment

Originally posted by DonL View Post
            Hmmm...somebody edited this thread and took many posts out.
            Actually, the problem is that you posted the same thread two times. Most of the responses are in your other thread.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

From what I remember, mine our out about 3 turns, anything further in, it wont run properly, I also have a K/N in the air filter box, I think I might try 4 turns out to lean it out.

Comment

Forgot to mention, 4-1 Harris pipe, and 125 main jet.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Actually, the problem is that you posted the same thread two times. Most of the responses are in your other thread.

Well...what can I say? Oopps! My bag!
                  Maybe we can get all the responses in one thread....who would I ask to do that? The admin?

Still wondering if when the screw is turned out, is that richer, or leaner?

Comment

Originally posted by DonL View Post
                    Still wondering if when the screw is turned out, is that richer, or leaner?
                    Out = richer
                    In = leaner
                    '85 GS550L - SOLD
                    '85 GS550E - SOLD
                    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                    '81 GS750L - SOLD
                    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

yippee...finally the pilot screw info was found it in the archives

I'll get the hang of this yet.

Posted 23 Feb 2007 by tfb:

OK, I went through the manual systematically, and here are the settings for the various models it lists:

GS1000SN ('79) --- VM26SS-equipped models --- Air screw 1.0, Pilot 5/8
                      GS1000SN ('79) --- VM28SS-equipped models --- Air screw 1 1/4, Pilot 3/4

GS1000L ('79) --- VM26SS-equipped models --- Air screw 1.0, Pilot 5/8
                      GS1000L ('79) --- VM28SS-equipped models --- Air screw 1 1/4, Pilot 3/4

GS1000ET ('80) --- BS34SS (ie. CV carbs) --- Pilot 1 5/8

GS1000ST ('80) --- VM30SS (in Australia) --- Air screw 1 3/4, Pilot 5/8

GS1000GT/GLT ('80) --- BS34SS --- Pilot 1 5/8

GS1000GX/GLX ('81) --- BS34SS --- Pilot "PRESET" Ah yes, there you go, the dreaded "preset" word. But don't worry, in all other respects (jetting, float height, etc.) the carbie data for this model are the same as for the '80 GS1000GT/GLT (above), so setting the pilot at 1 5/8 will be the way to go.

*Naturally* these are just nominal settings, and assume that everything is stock-standard and that your engine is in good condition, clean air filter, etc. So that if you have pods, after-market exhaust system, bored-out engine and so on, you will need to fine-tune things to suit your setup.

Last edited by tfb : 02-23-2007 at 07:38 PM.

Comment

Mine refuses to run properly if I screw them in more than 3 turns out, I turned them out to 4, so your actually saying screw them in leans it out, so why does mine run bad if I screw them in further??????????????????????????

Comment

Final outcome.

It seems my bike likes 1 3/4 turns out on all four of the pilot mixture screws.
                          Took it out on a 120 mile run today, and it did great. No loading up, no running lean.
                          After it cools I'll check plug color.

Thanks to all for the assitance!
                          Hopefully I can repay, and pay it forward.

Comment

Working...
                          X