breather? radiator leaking fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

breather? radiator leaking fluid

i was riding around, stuck in third gear because my gear change pedal hasn't come in yet and i get into my development and start to push the revs a little bit and to my surprise theres no bog where the ingition usually steps at around 4k and i so i ride the 100 feet home and coolant is dripping everywhere. at first i thought *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ i blew the gasket *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$! to my surprise it was just one hose that was leaking. i discovered that i was supposed to be pluged into the breather? except that theres no connection or anything, i think it was glued into there heres a picture of where it was supposed to go

here is the question i have. the hose is supposed to sit inside of that flange. if i bush it and and clamp it to the flange and tighten it really tight do you think it would leak? keep in mind it is for hot radiator fluid

I'm going to go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out on a limb here and assume that this isn't on your GS. You are going to add a bushing and then clamp it? I'd say it depends on your clamp job and how much pressure your system is operating at.

Just out of curiosity, what vehicle are you talking about here?

Comment

yea you got me this isnt anywhere near a gs, its a ninja 750r, sorry i attempted to lie to you guys i just dont know where else to go. well it didnt work and not only did it not work my whole system is now overheating for some reason and temp gauge doesn't work

Comment

I don't think you attempted to lie. Lots of folks here ask tech questions on vehicles other than their GSs. First of all, if your system is blowing coolant, then it will overheat everytime. A coolant system is designed to be a closed loop and operates under pressure. I can't see in the photo you provided what hose you are referring to. This is just a wild guess, but what you are trying to do may be similar to the heater return line on lots of cagers. They are often just "pressed" into the water pump and held in place by a clamp bolted to one of the heads. But, I'm wildly guessing here because your diagram just ain't making much sense at this point. As far as your temp guage not working, if you severely overheated your system you could have burnt out the sending unit.

Comment

The sending unit won't work if there isn't any coolant around it either. You should top up the fluid but keep in mind that it may be hard to bleed the air out and then not ride the bike until you've got it fixed. You'll end up with big time problems if you ride it.

Anyway, are you saying that you've found out where the hose goes (ie, found a loose hose and a connection with no hose on it?)

Steve

Comment

Another thought. Depending on how hot your motor got you may have cracked your head or blown a head gasket. A motorcycle motor has alot less mass than a car or truck engine and a properly working cooling system is a whole lot more critical to keep it happy. Either of those two conditions and you could (or perhaps probably would) see coolant venting out the exhaust, but usually only if your coolant system is holding pressure.

Comment

steam was venting from the return hose that feeds into the reservoir not the bike or anything. i think it might be the return line that got ripped out , so i should top it off ? and yes i found a hole with no hose in it. im really at a loss here, i just got this bike about 2 weeks ago, first the rain causes me to slip and break the gear change pedal and now this. do i have to use special motorcycle coolant or can i use cage coolant? the loose hose went into the hole that the arrow is point at

Comment

so i filled it up to brim and now not only is it not holding pressure and overheating there is oil in the coolant which is a cracked head am i right?and oh yea it wont go above 4k rpms and even if i hold the clutch in and let of the throttle it dies

Comment

You need to check your oil to see if it has coolant in it. Even if there isn't any coolant in the oil you may have a cracked head. Smell your exhaust to see if it has a coolant odor to it. Yes I believe you can use auto antifreeze in a bike as long as you mix it correctly for your area (50:50 usually).

I really hope things turn out for the better with your bike. Maybe the previous owner can have a look at it for you.

Steve

oh yeah, now much oil is in the coolant? Lots or just enough to make oil rings on it like a water puddle? Riding 100 feet shoudn't have done in your engine...1 mile would though.

Comment

yea 1 mile sounds about right , i rode it forgetting that it had little coolant in it to school and back . there is a lot of oil in the coolant. the previous owner didnt know anything about bikes.

Comment

I'd say for sure you have a cracked head. Sorry about that.

Comment

If the coolant looks like chocolate milk and the oil looks similar, you have a head gasket, a cracked head, a warped head or the mother of all.... a cracked block... you could get a coolant pressure tester (it applies pressure to the cooling system) try to block off that hose you have out, and see where the coolant/oil appears to be leaking from... if you're lucky the problem didn't occur only internally but externally as well. May I recommend removing the head and sending it to a cylinder head rebuilder for inspection of warpage/cracks? at that time you'd go ahead and replace the headgasket ofcourse. There's a place my shop deals with that inspects and resets/rebuilds cylinder heads starting at 80 dollars, which isn't bad, but that's with my shop discount, and assuming no parts or milling was neccessary. Try to find a place that will do a FULL workup on the head, not just checking for flatness and eyeballing it for cracks.

Comment

The GPz 750/900r series was notoriious for wearing out the water pump and the only indication was oil in the coolant. check theat your water pump is not seized or otherwise damaged as the oil is most likely actually coming in through the seal at the water pump.
                          Dink

Comment

im taking it to a shop, ill tell em about all of this

Comment

Working...
                            X