At a new place with my GS..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At a new place with my GS..

So today i rode my GS750 to work. Let me preface this by telling you that this bike is FAR from stock. It's honestly a bit of a frankenstien. But i bought her from a buddy of a buddy about a month or so ago, and the minute i saw her i fell in love with her. To GS purists she would be blasphemy, but to me she's a hot blooded cafe race horse that just needs a little work here and there, some love and attention. Yes, i still need to get pics of her up here, and untill i find that damn cord, its not happening heh. She's been lowered. Forks, not original, believe it or not, they're off a dirt bike. Same diameter, and you'd never really tell except the fender mounts are absent. Rear shocks have been cut and slammed (that's going bye bye however) Clubman bars, cut frame, blacked out rims and spokes, oddball homemade seat (going bye bye in the wake of a H2 style cafe seat soon enough) the tank of of the G model i believe (the big 4.8 gallon) that doesnt *quite* snug up to the neck. Pod filters, 4into1, a god awful homemade paint job (another thing going bye bye over the winter) and lots of little this's and thats that need tweaked or fixed. But i love this bike.

I hit the highway for a bit, just to see how much i could get out of the way oversized rear sprocket, making notes to myself as i went. "She's gurgling a bit at high revs, what's that ticking noise?? Sounds like the clutch needs adjusted. Oh, my front master cylinder cap is leaking ever so slightly. Need to drop this sprocket size down, maybe back to OEM, we'll see"

Got off the high way and took the surface streets the rest of the way, and then all the way home. Even with my apparent carburation issues, she still runs like a scalded dog. Whereas on my other bikes, I would have tripped out and started panicing to find the offending noise, handing issue, etc etc. With the GS I dont freak. Yeah she's running a bit rough in high rpms, yeah she's a little stumbly at idle. She even tried to die on my at stop lights on the way home. She's smokin (not oil, unburnt gas) But even with all the mods, and apparent swaps and changes, she's rock solid. I dont worry about how she's going to handle in this corner or the next. She's right there. Right under me, stable as can be. Even with the harsh suspension, she doesnt flinch or feel like shes going to get squirly without my pushing it to that point. Everyone stops and stares...what kinda bike is that?? A Zuk?? Seriously? It's awesome!

I love this bike. And I've found a place that with all of my previous bikes, from KZs, to CBs, to XS's, Ive never found. If it breaks, i can fix it. She's not going to die forever. She just needs some care and affection. And thanks to the GSR, and you fine folks i have talked to and met on here, I feel confident that she IS bulletproof. And with proper care and maintainence, my old 77 GS750 cafe will run till 2077...and even with the problems on the way home, i couldnt help but smile. You'll be OK old girl...we'll make it better.

TCK

For ideas on just what is possible with a GS, check out my post "Pics of "E"'s" in the Appearance section. Some unreal bikes. Hurry up and find that cord!

Comment

Wow there are some amazing looking bikes on there. I have a decent idea where i want to go...just simple old cafe style, with a hell of a lot more punch. I honestly dont think i have ever ridden on a more stable motorcycle. Well, not including your modern sportbike. And even those can feel a bit twitchy at times. I need to get the fuel situation sorted out first, and when i tear her down over the winter for gasket changes and whatnot, thats when ill do the serious cosmetic stuff. Right now i just wanna get her running right and enjoy her while the weather is still nice enough to ride. Not to jack my own thread, but you mentioned something about removing the vent hoses from the carbs if you have pods on it. Is that a pretty common thing to do? I dont understand how it would make a difference.

TCK

Comment

It has something to do with either siphoning effect or balancing the atmospheric pressure of the float bowls. If you do a search in the Technical section for "vent hoses" or "vent tubes" you'll probably find a more definitive description. Basically, pods + vent tubes = unhappy bike. And it's a mod that doesn't cost anything, and if it does something weird you can put the lines back on. It won't hurt anything and almost everyone here running pods recommends it.

Comment

Working...
        X