my power is gone!!! help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my power is gone!!! help

first thing awsome site!! like the fact of everyone helping out to get there bikes back on the road.. ok i have a 1981 gs650glz i have had the bike since i was in high school, the bike has sat for 2 years without being touched..(my own fault) i went through it this yr. cleaned all the carbs.(several times!) flushed the tank, cleaned the air box (stock,new filter) put a inline filter on between tank and carbs.,new plugs and i am still having a problem with it. The bike starts up hard when it is cold and when it finally does fire it is running on 3 cyl. #2 is cold.. if i pull the air filter out and spray some Wd 40 in it, it will take off. After you get it warmed up and you go for a ride it is the perfect starter bike for someone just learning, you cant get it to rev or 4 rpm's it totally falls on its face, if you let off and just run at low rpms its fine.. sitting at a idle you can rev it to 6,7,8 rpms if you hold it there (high rpms) it eventually loses the power and falls on its face again.. This led me to think fuel!! pulled the petcock apart it was clean. switched it to pri. diddnt help, took the "o" ring and spring out of the petcock to see if it was still keeping the fuel from getting to the carbs. no go.. i read on here yesterday about the gas cap vent being plugged i pulled that apart too its fine. any other suggestions would be great.. thanks for the post

Lose the inline filter and get a new petcock. It's time. I would yank the carbs and do this
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      Lose the inline filter and get a new petcock. It's time. I would yank the carbs and do this
      Gotta second ya Chef...no inline filter and new petcock (which comes with a new intank filter in place). Also intake boot o-rings are almost sure to be in order. Welcome aboard, Basscliff we be along shortly! \\/

Comment

If I were a betting man, I'd say you have some pretty sizable vacuum leaks on your intake boots. As Dave said, intake boot o-rings should be changed out. Also, when you have the boots off, give them a good squeeze. If a boot feels hard and brittle, or you see little cracks form when you squeeze it, the whole boot needs to be replaced.

Also, check the vacuum line routing from your petcock to the carbs. Sometimes it has a kink in it that allows enough air flow at lower RPM, but not enough at high rpm.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

that is something else that i forgot to put on there i changed the boots and "o" rings also they are new. any suggestions for rebuild kits for the carb (where to get them from) i have a few of the jets that i cant get out so i used welding tip cleaners they were small enough to feed through the jet and i was able to get air through them. tips for removing the jets?? thanks for info.

Comment

Originally posted by chez138012 View Post
            that is something else that i forgot to put on there i changed the boots and "o" rings also they are new. any suggestions for rebuild kits for the carb (where to get them from) i have a few of the jets that i cant get out so i used welding tip cleaners they were small enough to feed through the jet and i was able to get air through them. tips for removing the jets?? thanks for info.
            Save your money on the kits...just get the o-rings for the carbs. Robartbarr, here, does a great job with the o-ring kits. Anyone have a direct link to save this man some time? :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
              Save your money on the kits...just get the o-rings for the carbs. Robartbarr, here, does a great job with the o-ring kits. Anyone have a direct link to save this man some time? :-D
              www.cycleorings.com
              sigpic

SUZUKI:
              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

thanks for the help

Comment

Go ahead and clean the carbs, but I would also check to see why #2 cylinder is cold. It sounds like you maybe only running on 3 at all times. I would pull the spark plugs and swap them around to check to see if you got a bad spark plug. Also check petcock as mentioned, if it is leaking, it could drain down vacuum line and flood #2 cylinder.

Comment

Also look at your plug wires. You may have a bad wire. Swap the coils with each other and see if the issue follows the coil.

Then replace them anyway, if they are original. One of the best things I did for my GS650G was to replace the old stock coils with new ones. A pair of NGK ones are reasonable on ebay.

Comment

does anyone know if the electronics off a 81 gs750 are the same as the 82 gs650 (the coils,cdi,starter sel.,charging regulator,ect.)

Comment

Working...
                      X