Can I dip Spark Plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I dip Spark Plugs?

I need to clean some plugs, can I dip them in carb cleaner or no?

Should be OK. I spray plugs with carb cleaner (and various other things) all the time. Clean 'em, sand the contacts a bit (check gap), and try 'em again. But remember sometimes plugs are "just fouled" and will keep giving you trouble. I usually try to go with new ones...

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
      Should be OK. I spray plugs with carb cleaner (and various other things) all the time. Clean 'em, sand the contacts a bit (check gap), and try 'em again. But remember sometimes plugs are "just fouled" and will keep giving you trouble. I usually try to go with new ones...
      These plugs are about a month old and they are fouled big time. I am gonna get a new set but was thinking about keeping one set in carb cleaner and one in the bike and just rotating them till I can replace the exhaust and possible another set of carbs

Comment

To clean plugs, best thing I have found is an overnight soaking in vinegar.

Earl
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post

Earl
          There ya go - talking sense again.

It ain't right, I tell ya :-D

(Coca Cola works, too - but don't tell anyone I tol' ya)

Comment

try a spray electrical contact cleaner like crc lectromotive. I found it works a little better than carb & choke cleaner. Haven't tried the coca cola yet though

Comment

Originally posted by 79-GS550-L View Post
              try a spray electrical contact cleaner like crc lectromotive. I found it works a little better than carb & choke cleaner. Haven't tried the coca cola yet though
              I'll do an experiment. Two in Vinegar (Does it matter the kind?) and two in carb cleaner

Comment

i've heard break cleaner works...

I've also heard of people using a blow torch

Comment

Originally posted by Fare View Post
                  i've heard break cleaner works...

I've also heard of people using a blow torch
                  Well I dont have a blow torch handy and I aint wasting my precious Diet Coke So Vinegar and Carb Cleaner it is

Comment

Since no one else asked:
                    Why are they fouling?

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post

Earl
                      :shock:?

At a garage I go to on occasion they have a cool little air operated unit on the wall that you stick the tip of the plug in and it gets sand blasted 8-)

Comment

BTW, diet coke won't do it. It has to be the original formula only.

Comment

You can use cheap vinegar. Spark plugs are color blind and not known to have discriminating tastes. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by mortation View Post
                          I'll do an experiment. Two in Vinegar (Does it matter the kind?) and two in carb cleaner
                          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                            BTW, diet coke won't do it. It has to be the original formula only.
                            Sorry I dont stock original formula since 2001. After a month long visit to the dentist she informed me if I wanted teeth and soda the soda had to be Diet :P

Comment

Originally posted by mortation View Post
                              Generally, white vinegar is supposed to be better in terms of cleaning and cutting grease, if you have it handy....otherwise, balsamic will also prolly work, and give your bike an interesting exhaust aroma, to boot* :-D.

Tony.
                              Last edited by Mysuzyq; 10-01-2007, 07:19 PM. Reason: Forgot To Add Asterisk
                              '82 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                              X