Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 GS1100 front fork air crossover tube

Hi,

I just went on a 2-day 1100 mile ride to meet up with NW GS group and discovered what I thought was a blown fork seal about 500 miles from home.

My 83 Katana 1100 has 1980 1100E front forks with the air nipple crossover tube that resides just above the lower triple clamp on both forks.

On both forks a sleeve with a bolt sticks out near where the air crossover feeds into. One of these bolts fell out causing a horrible suction noise as the fork went through its stroke and pumped, I'm guessing, most of the fork oil out my left fork.

This bolt of course is a specific shape with a tapered end and rubber o-ring.

My question is if I don't use air in my forks could I just find a bolt with the right threads and do away with the specialty bolt?

If any one has one laying around I'd like to buy it. Thanks for any help.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

That's an odd thing to happen! Do you have Progressive springs in there? I bet if you do it to both sides you'd be fine with no air and a regular bolt.

Comment

Upon further research in the 1100 fours Haynes manual from 80-83 on page 125, they show the bolt in question. #26 is called a location bolt, underneath is a hole in the fork.

I suppose a snug bolt might work, but fork oil will be pooling outside of the tube, itching to leak out. There's also a rubber o-ring above the taper of bolt and two more larger O-rings around the air union as they call it.

Maybe my friend Ted who bought my 1980 1100 will loan me one. He hasn't ridden it since he bought it. He just bought a fishing boat, so I doubt I 'll see him riding anytime soon.
      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
        Maybe my friend Ted who bought my 1980 1100 will loan me one. He hasn't ridden it since he bought it. He just bought a fishing boat, so I doubt I 'll see him riding anytime soon.
        SLAP!!!

But True.

For YEARS, I've been perpetually fascinated by the myriad odd problems that befall Mr. Turk. Issues that simply defy logic, happen to he and his bikes.
        Of course, he racks up colossal mileage, so I guess statistical probabilities are catching up...

Yes, you can have mine. I'll drop it by tomorrow.

Comment

Carter, I have one of those front ends in my garage.
          Give me a call.
          201-5048
          -Ray

Comment

Thanks Ray and Ted.

Comment

Working...
            X