No announcement yet.

brake fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dot 5 is Silicon based & is not compatible with Dot 3, 4 or 5.1 which are Glycol based.

The benefits of Dot 5 are that it is not flammable, does not take on moisture so you don't need to flush it. It was developed for the US army for trucks etc that sat in storage for long periods but could still be operational ready without a load of work.

I used it on some classic cars in the UK.

3 things:

1: it's expensive.
    2: It's a PITA to bleed. Much harder than normal.
    3: It gives a spongey feel to the lever or pedal.

They tried to introduce it in motorsport for fire reasons but the drivers hated the pedal feel.

If you want to use Dot 5 it is better to use it with an all new system. You can empty & flush but you risk the seals swelling up (they will have absorbed some of the Glycol stuff over the years) & causing the brakes to seize.

The higher the number you go with the normal stuff with 5.1 being the highest then the higher the boiling point. They also become increasingly Hydroscopic so take on water much faster.

Having used both types my own opinion is to use Dot 4 (more common in the UK, Dot 3 seems to be most common here) & change it every couple of years.

Using fluid from a sealed container is not always a guarantee of moisture content, I read a report of fluid from several suppliers that was quite highly contaminated in un-opened bottles!

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
    X