puffs of smoke from the starter button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

puffs of smoke from the starter button

i charged up a brand spanking new battery.put it in my 82 gs 750T,added gas and attempted to start the sucker:-D
    well after about twenty attempts she fired up.thats when i noticed some little puffs of smoke coming from the starter button area.the wires felt hot.
    anybody else find this strange.i was using the button for all it was worth for about 5 to 10 mins8-[ though
    somebody,anybody.tell me .of course this would happen after abusing it[-o<and it wont happen again.

Probably got away with it if it still works... Lots of current, dirty contacts, lots of heat... It may have came close to burning the insulation off the wires. Or just smoked up some of the crud in there. Might tale a look inside, there are usually old cocoons, dead spiders, webs and such all of which can make smoke.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

ya i will have to have a little looksy in there.PO had it stored for about a year and a half.
      at the moment i'm just glad it fired up\\/

Comment

Originally posted by neil young View Post
        i charged up a brand spanking new battery.put it in my 82 gs 750T,added gas and attempted to start the sucker:-D
        well after about twenty attempts she fired up.thats when i noticed some little puffs of smoke coming from the starter button area.the wires felt hot.
        anybody else find this strange.i was using the button for all it was worth for about 5 to 10 mins8-[ though
        somebody,anybody.tell me .of course this would happen after abusing it[-o<and it wont happen again.
        DON'T ignore this symptom. Somewhere within the starting circut you have corroded wires (usually inside a plastic connector). This is the main reason for melting wires. I had all sorts of wacky instrument cluster/ignition problems, and traced it to a corroded/melted connector inside the headlight bucket. Here's my post with some pics:

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

Working...
        X