To sync or not too sync....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To sync or not too sync....

I've never synchronized the carbs on my bike and am wondering if it's worth doing? I completely rebuilt them last summer and it runs just great.. When I put the carbs back together, I made "eyeball" adjustments but nothing more. Is it worth paying somebody 50 bucks to do it and would I notice a difference? :roll: (BTW, I'm not buying the "sticks") Thanks!!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

I vote for Sync em'. You will be amazed at the difference.

Comment

Dan is correct. The reason I said sync them is cuz he claims to have had them apart.

Comment

to sync?

I've been thinking about sync'ing mine as well but was put off by dealers telling me they need to do an overall "test" of the bike from tires to chain to engine...you name it. Rather than a price I keep getting "It may take anywhere from 2-6hrs" because of the extra bs. What is a reasonable price? and if i say"please sync my carbs" should'nt they be able to just do that? Clearly i wont be dealing with this shop again. Just looking for a reasonable ballpark price.
        thanks,
        collin

Comment

Re: to sync?

Originally posted by Collin
          I've been thinking about sync'ing mine as well but was put off by dealers telling me they need to do an overall "test" of the bike from tires to chain to engine...you name it. Rather than a price I keep getting "It may take anywhere from 2-6hrs" because of the extra bs. What is a reasonable price? and if i say"please sync my carbs" should'nt they be able to just do that? Clearly i wont be dealing with this shop again. Just looking for a reasonable ballpark price.
          thanks,
          collin
          syncing carbs about $100 or you can buy the carb sticks or gauges for that or less and learn to do it yourself.

Comment

I paid $200 to have mine synced, 4 hours labor. They also took the carbs apart though and checked the float hights, jets, and replaced some O rings that were going south. Mine definitely needed adjustment because I took them off the rack when I cleaned them, they told me there's no need to do that. They really should never go out if you never mess with the slide hights, should they? Anyway 2 bills is a lot of money but it's the best 2 bills I ever spent because I went from having a 'potential' motorcycle that sorta ran to a real live motorcycle that ran great.

It sounds like that shop might be jerking you around Collin. If you're sure everything else is in order with your engine and that the carbs are otherwise good they should be able to sync them and give you some kind of estimate (I think by law they have to if you ask, I know they do in NJ). If, like me, you're not sure of the float hights and they have to open them up it could get iffy. Good luck to both you and Chucky.

Comment

You can get them very close even without sticks. Close number three until it is just closed. Then use the individual adjusters on the other three to get them to do the same.

Comment

As I understand it you need to sync everyonce in a while. As the engine wears the cylinders might not wear the same, thus they may not pull the exact same vaccuum, even if the slides are as close as you can get eyeballing it. I eyeballed mine and there was 4psi difference between lower and upper vaccuums. maybe my eyeballs aren't as good as the rest of yours... but I gained performance just by evening them up. Ofcourse I then went and changed engines, now I have a whole other mess to deal with.

Comment

I've made (with a friend) the sync of my gs750 last week

5 minutes to put off the tank
                  max 10 minutes to put of the screw of the 4 carbs
                  max 10 minutes to put on those @#^!??&## screws to sync
                  1 hour to start this @#^!??&## bike (just kidding)
                  max 10 minutes to sync the carbs

removing the sync screws
                  putting on the screws
                  putting on the tank

V++
                  rackham

Comment

I'm gonna sych my GFs bike this weekend. First time synching a 4 cylinder but I suspect it shouldn't be any more difficult than doing a 2 cylinder. Hopefully, I won't run into any problems.

Comment

Golly.

Sounds like I'll eventually buy a 'stick'. Got quite a few miles before I need to worry about that though

Comment

Carb sync

Thanks to all for the great advice! I think I'll go ahead and do it because I can't think I could have been lucky enough to get them perfect by guessing. By the way, the price I was quoted was $50.....By the way, Robert, who are those guys in the Marysville/Yuba City area that you said were really good mechanics??? Thanks!
                        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
                        X