New to GS, bike questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to GS, bike questions

Hey everyone. I'm new to the GS site and to motorcycles in general.
    I purchased my 1981 GS650G from someone off this site about a week ago.
    I'm very glad he told me about this site.

The bike had originally been sitting for a couple years but he got it running. He said he re-did the carbs new plugs and some electrical work. The push start button didn't work when I bought it but I got that working. Charged up the battery and it trys to start.

The problem is that it won't actually get going. I tried a little starting fluid and that helped started to get going but died. Wondering if anyone has any ideas.
    Not sure if it isn't getting enough fuel or there is something else I am missing. I'll probably put in some new plugs later today. Any help would
    be really appreciated, like I said I am very new to the GS bike. I really can't
    wait to get it going so I can ride it.

If a bike has sat for over a month its likely that the pilot jets have started to 'gum' up with old petrol.

If, as you say, the bike had not run for a while its likely that some of the choke/pilot jets will have clogged up.

Don't put any sort of easy start to the engine, you will only create more problems for yourself in the long run.

Firstly check that you have the fuel tap on run. Turn it to prime for a couple of seconds but no longer than say 10. Pull out the choke, turn the ignition on and leave the throttle alone. Using the starter button crank the engine over and it should start. Then put the fuel tap back to the run position.

If it doesn't start then go through a check list. Battery power, spark, fuel. Bad batteries will affect starting and spark. Check that you have iginition at the spark plugs by cranking her over with the plugs out laid agianst the engine to see if there spark. Then fuel. Check that you have fuel coming out of the fuel tap. Take a float bowl off a carb to see if fuel is getting through. Check to see if the plugs are wet etc get the idea. You should find a fault or the bike will start.

Suzuki mad.

GS1000ET 1981
    GS(X)1100ESD 1983
    GSF1200K1 2002
    Whats next.......

Comment

Cool thanks for the tips. I will run through the checklist tonight
      after work. Hopefully I will get it going. Thanks again.

Comment

As Smad says, starting problems are usually either lack of spark or lack of fuel. He mentions that fuel can go bad very quickly and if storing a bike with fuel in it for any length of time a stabilizer needs to be used (Stabil or our favourite....Sea foam).

It is highly likely that the jets are starting to plug and if the gas has been in a while it is likely breaking down. After checking fuel delivery as Smad suggest, I'd drain off the fuel and replace it with fresh and top it off with some Seafoam (a couple of ounces per tank) which is a super flow through carb and engine cleaner.

Check your battery is fully charged and that you have spark at the plugs. Plugs are cheap so even if they look good, get some new ones.. every little bit helps in these situations.

Don't ever use carb start or ether or anything like that to help start...they are far too volatile and if used to excess can blow off an m/c head. A little shot of gas into each port (through the open butterflies of the carb or plug holes) may help but go easy on it. Crank it over. Keep at it until it catches.Be aware that if your battery shows less than 12.5 volts at rest, it likely will turn the starter but may not fire the plugs. Keep it juiced up with low amperage trickle charger between tries to start.

If the carbs are not too gucky, the fresh gas and Seafoam will work through and hopefully get things running.

If no improvement, then you'll likely need to pull the carbs and rip into them for a cleaning. This will seem like a huge task if you haven't ever done it but the tutorial on the homepage is excellent and if you take your time, you'll get her done.

Gunky carbs is the commonest issue with bikes that have sat for any length of time. I have now owned 4 bikes and everyone suffered that problem. I now routinely pull the carbs first thing.

As I sometimes don't get to ride my bikes for few weeks or more, I keep Seafoam in the fuel to keep it stabalized. For storage over the winter, I drain the tank and run the engine 'til it dies to drain all the fuel out of the carbs. Pull the battery also and store indoors. Keep it charged with the trickle charger. Fresh gas and charged battery in the spring and they usually fire right up.

Hope this helps a bit.

Let us know what you do to get her running.

Good luck,
        Spyug.

Comment

Where abouts are you silverkrown? US, Canada, UK?

We don't get sea foam here in the UK hence why I did not suggest it.

Bother my GS1000E and GS(X)1100E can sit for a month without needing any work to start them other than keeping a battery tenderiser on to keep the old battery charged up.

There is a good guide on this site for carb stripping and cleaning, no doubt somebody will post where it is......

Suzuki mad.

Comment

Thanks for the great tips guys. I live in Brooklyn Center, MN. I was at the parts store
            last night and saw the sea foam. Wasn't sure if it was the right stuff to use, I'm gonna go get some tonight. The battery is charging all day when I'm at work so it should be ready to go when I get home. Can't wait to get done with work and see if I can get it going.
            Thanks again and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Comment

Hey howdy hey!

Mr. silverkrown,

Let it be known that on this day you are hereby cordially and formally welcomed to the GSR Forum as a Junior Member in good standing with all the rights and privileges thereof. Please note that "good standing" implies pictures! :-D

The "spray version" of Sea Foam is called "Deep Creep". You might want to spray a bit in your carbs to clean them up a little. Depending on how long it's bee sitting around, it usually pays to do it right the first time and rebuild the carbs complete with O-rings, boots, etc.

Thanks for joining us. Please keep us informed of your progress.

BassCliff
              (The unofficial GSR greeter)

Comment

SUCCESS!
                I got home from work last night and put in some new plugs. Put back in the battery after a full day of charging. messed with the choke a bit and didn't touch the throttle. Time to give it a try. Pushed the start button and it started right up. I was pretty excited. Took it out for a little bit last night. What a fun bike.
                Thanks again guys for the tips, they definatley helped.

Comment

Great news and glad to hear you got in a ride.

I would still recommend using some of the Seafoam treatment to get things cleaned and running right.

You should also do an oil and filter change fairly soon as the existing oil could be mixed with some gas that may have dripped through the carbs as it sat. Oil and old gas becomes caustic and can "etch" metal that sits in it (not a good thing).

The Seafoam is good for loosening up crud in the engine oil passages so dump a bit in the tranny and run the bike for 100 miles or so before the change. Its a petroleum based product so it won't harm the tranny or clutch.

Sounds like you are well on your way with the project. Enjoy and keep us informed.
                  Cheers,
                  Spyug.

Comment

Working...
                  X