A different question about turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A different question about turn signals

I have searched and read pretty much all the past posts on turn signals. Didn't come across my questions exactly, but I am more informed.

Owned an '81 GS450T for about 7 years now. Just last Friday upgraded to an '83 GS850G. The GS850G was missing the rear left turn signal. PO only had the bike for most of the summer and didn't ride much. He bought it without the turn signal.

Reading up on the past posts, it appears the self canceling feature has been disabled/bypassed already. The right turn signal works normally. The left, being missing did not. I added a random amber lense and bulb I had on hand which seems to be much fewer watts than the stock. The left signal now lights up but doesn't flash. If I tap the stock flasher it will click and blink the signal once. This behavior seems typical with the stock flasher and lower wattage bulbs.

The past post suggest using a standard replacement flasher from an autoparts store. Plugging in a cheap 3-prong thermal flasher resulted in none of the signal lights even lighting up. Looking closer at the 3-pronged wiring harness, stamped in the plastic is "ground" for one prong, "driver" for another, and "pass" for the last. This seems to be different than the standard automotive flasher setup, even though the thermal flasher plugs right in. Some of the past posts suggests going to an electronic flasher. I don't think this will work if the wiring truely is as labeled.

Unless someone suggests otherwise, I believe I need to buy (2) 2-prong flashers and split the wire labeled "ground" to each of flasher. This should work if the labels on the harness are correct.

The harness and flasher appear to be stock. The indicator light in the instrument cluster lights up just like the signals (right flashes, left stay lit).

Any thoughts?

ewb

In my '85, I use a regular 2-prong flasher unit. I just had to replace one last month, and it is working like a charm again. And yes, the stock harness on my bike is a 3-prong unit - but apparently 1 prong isn't required.
    If you go this route, try to find one that is metal all the way around - some of them use a heavy cardboard on the ends where the prongs are, and I need not tell you what riding in rain, washing the bike, etc will do to that cardboard.

Comment

to go with non original wattage turnsignals you will need a aftermarket automotive two terminal flasher, electronic ones are best as they are not as finicky and hold a steady flash pattern over a wider range of load and voltages.

the automotive two terminal flasher will plug right into the stock three terminal socket without having to do any re-wiring.
      the third wire is just the control wire from the self cancel module.

Comment

I grabbed a 2 prong flasher from the local auto store, was like $5 off the peg board. Works fine but no auto-cancel. If it lights up right now but doesnt blink just replace the flasher and it should work.

Comment

First, before you go trying to adapt all kinds of stuff, what bulb did you put in the turn signal socket?
          If you put in a smaller bulb like a 67 or 89, the flasher won't work. You need to have an 1156 to work properly.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X