X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach Cable Oil Leak

Hey guys,

I have a 1979 GS1000 EN model.

I just checked my valves and sealed up my cam cover with a new gasket. Once the bike is started, I noticed an oil leak. Its dripping down the tach cable from where it connects to the engine, and is tightened all the way. Is this a serious problem? Can I remove the cable and put some teflon / thead tape on the tach cable and reinstall? Is there even supposed to be oil there in the first place?

Also,

How much smoke is supposed to be coming out of the cam cover breather unit at the very top? It seems to be puffing away.

There is a little oil seal and an O-ring in there, easy to replace...
    Smoke from the breather means the engine is not really new. Blowby past the rings?
    How much, and does it run well?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

bike runs great and strong. It has about 33k on it and shows no sign of giving up. Compression is within spec and no sound of slapping. Valves are checked as well. Smoke really isnt bad, I just notice it every now and then. Its a white / steam looking smoke, not black or oily.

Comment

Then run it with a smile.
        There is supposed to be a hose from the breather to the airbox, is it missing?
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          There is a little oil seal and an O-ring in there, easy to replace...
          Replace as mentioned here. Also check your tach cable drive gear that hooks up to the cam chaft where it makes contact with the oil seal. That can wear quite a bit where it makes contact with the seal. If its worn down, replace it.

Comment

All is revealed here:

Pictures and everything!

Yours may look a wee bit different, but it's pretty much the same procedure. You'll probably want to look up and verify your part numbers.

Also, while you're in the oil leak fixin' mood:
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Then run it with a smile.
              There is supposed to be a hose from the breather to the airbox, is it missing?
              I am running pod filters on mine so I have a 3/8" fuel line running from the top down to the foot peg with an individual air filter on the line.

bwringer: thanks for the info and links, I will have a look at it tomorrow!
              Last edited by Guest; 10-03-2007, 07:58 PM.

Comment

This is very useful, but the area that is highlighted is actually the point at which the gear shoulders up against the bushing. The seal rides rides on the next step to the right, where there is clearly a wear groove. I had to replace mine.
                NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Working...
                X