Short Circuit with Ignition Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Circuit with Ignition Off

Like I said in the title, I seem to have a short with the ignition off. I've looked at the stuff about the R/R and stator, but I'm not sure that applies since it isn't charging the battery that I'm concerned with...? I searched through the forums, but most people seem to at least not blow fuses when applying current initially with the ignition off.

I understand a little about electrical, but I'm no Tesla! I have continuity with the ignition off (I've blown 15amp fuses with the ignition off), but I'm not sure where to go. It seems that it would mean the short is between the ignition and the battery leads. Though the diagram on (which I know isn't the actual GS charging system) http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfacts.htm indicates that the R/R and stator are on the battery's side of ignition.

I have a Clymer, but I'm not very experienced at figuring out what the black on black pictures are showing me ! Any help would be appreciated!

Ok, I figured out that it appears the R/R is causing things. I disconnected the solid red that goes to it with a bundle of multi colored wires. The three that led to the stator (W/R, W/B, and Y) when disconnected had no effect. So I disconnected the other two and viola (reconnected the other three)!

So this is all leading up to my compression check. I take the spark plugs out, I hook up the battery leads, I turn the ignition (I get lights!), I pull in the clutch, and I press the starter....and....

I hear the whirring of what I suppose the starter would sound like with no engine to start and my compression tester does nothing!!! The fact there is 0 psi found makes me think the crank is not being rotated by the starter...

I hate being a n00b but you gotta learn somewheres!

Comment

Sounds like a starter clutch problem there. You can do a quick visual check by removing the stator cover (the big cover on the left end of the crank). Please note that the LEFT end of the crank is under your clutch hand, not your throttle hand. Once you have the cover off, you can see the starter gears behind the rotor to make sure everything is still there and working.

About your electrical problem ... it appears that you have found your problem, but it is possible for one of the six diodes in the rectifier to short out, which would cause a direct path to ground. More than 9 out of 10 times, a 'blown' diode will open, but sometimes they will short.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

if the battery is hooked up backwards you will have a dead short through the R&R and the starter will spin backwards.

the short battery cable from the solinoid goes to the battery terminal marked with a +

Comment

Working...
        X