V-twin vs, inline-4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V-twin vs, inline-4?

Just looking at some of the new models some of the manufactures are offering.

From a performance standpoint, what is the benefit of each?

Horse power is a function of RPM the smaller each single cyl is the higher it will rev thus more hp. So in the hp department at the same total displacement the 4 cyl will always win. If you want torque to come on early at a lower rev the 2 cyl is the way to go. All depends on what you want. Dan

Comment

also... v-twins have half the moving parts.

Comment

Fours have smaller power pulses that are more frequent since there are more cylinders. This is an advantage if you like to run low rpm's - fours tend to be smoother at low rpm's than twins which can snatch until the rpm's are up a little. Once you are above the snatch point though, twins usually have more torque which is nice for a street bike.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by s0crates82 View Post
          also... v-twins have half the moving parts.
          This isn't quite correct. You're right from the standpoint of (usually) the number of valves and pistons, but bear in mind that in an inline-4, all four cylinders share the same cam or cams, along with only one drive chain/belt/gears.

In a V-Twin, you have double the number of timing chains/belts/gears and camshafts if it's an OHC design. Of course, this is only true for OHC designs. Cam-in-block V-twins have common cams for both heads.

Comment

I have both, a Monster 750 V-twin, and the GS1150 I-4.

The Monster 750: low top speed (125mph), incredible torque exiting a turn, wheelies super easy to with a little throttle on on a little bump, only 61HP but can hang with much higher HP bikes on twisty roads. Shooth power delivery from idle to redline

GS1150: More top speed, lacking in the low end compared to the Monster, incredible blast of power once you hit 5000-6000 RPM, not too smooth below that. Incredible acceleration ~

JM

Comment

Originally posted by the_journeyman View Post
              I have both, a Monster 750 V-twin, and the GS1150 I-4.

The Monster 750: low top speed (125mph), incredible torque exiting a turn, wheelies super easy to with a little throttle on on a little bump, only 61HP but can hang with much higher HP bikes on twisty roads. Shooth power delivery from idle to redline
              ~

JM
              What is a Monster 750 V-twin?

Comment

This is my Monster 750. It's a V-twin too ~

Comment

Originally posted by the_journeyman View Post
                  This is my Monster 750. It's a V-twin too ~
                  That one will bite you if you're not careful! \\/

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                    That one will bite you if you're not careful! \\/
                    She's fiesty & known for her appetite of exiting turns on the rear wheel :-D

JM

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                      What is a Monster 750 V-twin?
                      The Monster 750 is a Ducati motorcycle. Read more about it here.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My 79 750L is rated at 72 HP. My son's 1996 Suzuki VS 1400 Intruder (Vtwin) is rated at 72 HP. He can get me off the line till I get some rpms up, then it is pretty even. But the big v twin runs much fewer rpms, and makes a ton of torque. They are both different rides, but both fun in their own way.

Greg O

Comment

Working...
                        X