logistics problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

logistics problem

How do you transport 10-15 bikes half way across North America with out renting the back of an 18 wheeler?

An old buddy has made me the benifactor of his bike collection. He doesn't want it any more and needs to move it because of lack of storage. The problem is, I live in Ontario and he lives in British Columbia. Sounds like about 2 tons (at least) of goods to haul. He thinks we should be able to load them on to his 6'x12' trailer and tow them behind his motor home. I'm going, I'd like to see that! Has any one tried hauling a load of this magnitude? Any suggestions.

Blaine

Maybe you could rent a u-haul. Not quite an 18 wheeler, but still pretty darn robust. Know anyone with a 3 horse slant? I betcha mine could haul that many cycles in her.

Comment

If you need some help I will be more than happy to take one off of your hands. Did you look into shipping the on the railroad. I have herd that if you send them frate it will more than likely be as cheeper and if not the headakes that you will avoid will make it worth wile and remember that if something happens to them on the trip they area responsable not you.

Greg

Comment

Wow! 15 bikes. For the cost of shipping.
        Weight isn't the problem space is. You can only fit 6 bikes on that trailer. I like the rail freight idea but they might require you to crate the bikes and that could cost you. You could try renting a 36' trailer. With that behind a motorhome you'd be driving a substantial rig. What a blast!
        So, what kind of bikes are you getting?

Steve

Comment

You should go down to the local bike shop and see what 15 crated bikes look like. That's as small of a package as you'll be able to pack them into. You won't damage the bikes if you stick them in crates but you'll have to reassemble them over the next few years so you'll need to prepare them for long term storage...

You'll probably want to use two vehicles. I'd say have your buddy buy a second trailer in BC for you and then drive your truck/van with another trailer to BC. You own a truck right!? :P It's gonna be a 3 week project from when you leave your door to when you get back.

Steve

Comment

Hmm,
            I've rethought your predicament and I've decided to lend you Ursula, my 87 E150, and a 3500lb trailer if you give me a bike that runs It has Class III hitches front and back, electric brakes (not on trailer ) and a 6-cylinder. Pictures taken in August of last year.

Steve

Comment

The list is as follows:

1981 Jawa Californian 350 twin 2000kms
              1979 Jawa Californian 350 twin 2000kms parts bike

1973 Montesa King Scorpion 250 dual purpose 250 miles

1990 Yamaha YSR80 mini crotch rocket 38kms never registered

1991 Suzuki TSR200R 6000kms dual purpose

1974 Yamaha 360 twin street 8000kms

1979 Honda CBX1000 49000kms (second most collectible Jap bike)

1974 Honda CB750 8000miles all original

1973 Yamaha YZ250 This is a classic motocross

1979 Moto Guzzi V-50II 500cc v-twin 16000kms

1972 Honda CL350 scrambler 5000miles

1990 Honda Cub 90cc Auto

Korean 29cc 2 stroke 2 hp engine that bolts to a mountain bike frame

Maybe a 1977 Yamaha XT500 if nor already disposed of

There may be others that he doesn't remember. These bikes haven't been touched in about 10 years. He had around thirty bikes at one point. Many have been sold, loaned out, walked off on their own, etc. I haven't seen my friend in 18 years. I have never seen any of these bikes so I can not verify that they actually exist, although I have no reason to doubt that they do. They are presently stored at two locations. One is in the interior of British Columbia. The other is on a farm in southern Saskatchewan. I will have to make some kind of trip out there to see what's up. I would very much like to make a visit regardless.

Comment

I'd rent a 30' UHaul in BC and 1 way it. Ride out there on your GS and load it in with the rest... do they have UHaul in Canadia? It would be expensive... but hell, I'd do it for 1/2 those bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkman Frankenbiker
                  The list is as follows:

1972 Honda CL350 scrambler 5000miles
                  I had a Honda CL250 about 1970. It was a memorable bike as the first of the Honda "pretend" dirt bikes. The upswept pipes looked pretty schmick and the blue/white was kind of innovative back then.

But... It was absolutely gutless, useless in the dirt, and kept on seizing camshafts. One time it left me stranded hundreds of miles from home. I had ridden back to me folks to borrow money to pay some bills and ended up paying to have the bike brought back on the train. I hitched in the freezing cold and ended up with the flu which left me out of action for a week.

I couldn't get rid of that bike quick enough afte that. After the CB72 (250) that I rode before it the CL was a great disappointment in every respect.

Kim

Comment

I'll take the 74 CB750 off your hands for free. nudge nudge.

Say no more!

Comment

CBX....hmmmmm :-)

Earl

Originally posted by dallyr
                      I'll take the 74 CB750 off your hands for free. nudge nudge.

Say no more!
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

A CBX and a Guzzi?
                        Be still my little heart!

Comment

Working...
                        X