Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regarding Pods, what's the difference between K & N and others?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding Pods, what's the difference between K & N and others?

I'm considering pods & a pipe in the future & was wondering why K&N pods are twice as expensive as their look-alike cousins from Emgo (and others).

Is there really that much bang for the buck?
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
    I'm considering pods & a pipe in the future & was wondering why K&N pods are twice as expensive as their look-alike cousins from Emgo (and others).

Is there really that much bang for the buck?
    Yes.

The K&N filters last a whole lot longer. I've had a drop-in K&N in my 1150 for 15 years.... it washes up and looks brand new still. The Emgo filters start to deteriorate after a few washes. And the K&N's breathe better.

Plenty of people have used the cheaper filters and are happy with them. But, IMO, if you are going to spend the money and time to do a pipe and pods (and jet kit), spend the extra money. The jet kits are made to work with the K&N's.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Go with K&Ns. They last forever and have the best airflow. Hope you plan on rejetting.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys - I'm just thinking ahead for a project I MAY start this winter on my '82 GS1100G.

I've seen no-name PODS on flea-bay much cheaper than the K&N ones & had wondered what the differences are. Yes, I realize I would have to re-jet in that case; more fun trying to nail down the jet sizes!!

I don't know, my bike runs VERY well & I fall in love with her again every time I ride. But, the stock 4-2 exhaust is VERY loud, as I think the PO had removed the baffles (is that possible?). That's what got me started thinking about replacing the exhaust, then if i do that I might as well go with PODS, and then..., well, start at the beginning!

Can you get/find baffles for the stock exhausts anywhere?

Have a great Amerigo Vespucci Weekend!

Mike
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post

Can you get/find baffles for the stock exhausts anywhere?

Have a great Amerigo Vespucci Weekend!

Mike
          Not that I'm aware of...however, Fleabay has had several nice sets up for auction. If you cant find anything that you really like there, go with the V&H or the KerKer set-up, GREAT breathers. Though I don't have them on my bike, I've ridden some that do and you can just tell/feel, that the bike is breathing the way the engine was designed to; sans the EPA's fingers!
          As far as the filter is concerned...YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.... k&n :-D

Comment

Years ago (I'm thinking early nineties) one of the motorcycle mags did a flow test of various pod and oem style aftermarket filters, and compared them to the oem setups. I believe they tested a CBR600 Honda and a GSXR750.

The Uni and Emgo OEM style filters flowed essentially the same as the OEMs. The Uni and Emgo pods flowed slightly more than OEM elements. The K&N OEM style element flowed considerably more than the other pod styles, and the K&N Pods flowed half again or more air than them.

I'll dig through my mags and see if I can find the test somewhere.
            sigpic

SUZUKI:
            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Working...
            X