Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head gasket outer seals?????????

1981 Suzuki GS1000G

I'm replacing the head gasket on it because it was seaping around the 4 outer seals.
    The new gasket I'm about to put on has NO larger outer rings to place the seals on.
    It is just the same size holes on each hole on the whole gasket throughout, does this mean I dont have to put seals on the outer 4? because I'm not sure, plus the gasket set came with 4 copper crush washers but they move around quite a bit on the outer studs and dont look like they will fit properly.
    I just checked the last 2 head gaskets I have (used) and they have copper outer inserts, I dont want to do it wrong, any ideas as on the new gasket?
    Phil.

Also the head gasket is 3 ply with small rivets at the front and rear to hold it together..
    Waiting on an answer so I can go out and put the head on or not.
    Phil.

Comment

Well I guess NOBODY knows then! I put it all together now and it runs fine.

Comment

Sorry Phil. I worked yesterday all day and didn't know the answer anyway.:?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Subtract 150cc, and I could tell you from memory... also, the brand of gaskets would have helped.

Glad it worked out!

On the Vesrah GS850 gasket sets, the corner seals and the head gasket do seem to be a rather odd, loose fit. However, they always seem to work OK.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            Subtract 150cc, and I could tell you from memory... also, the brand of gaskets would have helped.

Glad it worked out!

On the Vesrah GS850 gasket sets, the corner seals and the head gasket do seem to be a rather odd, loose fit. However, they always seem to work OK.
            I used a Vesrah top end gasket set on my 850. The old gasket was a 5 layer pressed steel affair, with no rubber seals on the outer oil galleys. It never seemed to leak though. The Vesrah gasket set had 4 copper washers that were supplied as replacements to be fitted under the acorn nuts on the oil galley studs.
            Phil, I hope those weren't the washers you used on the head gasket oil galleys!!
            The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
            GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
            GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
            GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
            http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

ATHENA was the gasket, the 4 copper washers I was talking about were the crush type which came with the Vesrah set, not the copper ones under the dome nuts.
              Hey, I know the manual states 29ft/lbs on the head bolts, whats the safest I can go higher? as I know these heads are prone to leaks.............

Comment

Retourqe after 500 miles. You shouldn't have a problem for a LONG time if you do. :-D
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  Retourqe after 500 miles. You shouldn't have a problem for a LONG time if you do. :-D
                  I also check torque at every valve clearance check. They usually don't move after the first few checks.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                  X