more newbe questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more newbe questions

Would like to get opinions before I get parts and start tearing stuff apart.

79 GS850
    stock every thing

Have cleaned tank (not bad) put on new petcock and ran vacuum tube to #3 carb, draped the other 2 over the air cleaner.
    installed breather tube from engine to air cleaner.
    Bike idles better and all exhaust pipes seem to heat the same now,
    before #3 stayed cool.

runs good from idle to about 4000 pulls hard, then goes awaytell 6500-7000 and comes back pretty good.
    almost sounds like its missing in between light poping on right side

plugs are fuzzy black

seems the warmer it gets the worse it runs. might be me

am sure the suzuki shop did not sync the carbs,other than bench, maybe.

What are all the possible causes to above ?

last question
    When I buy a vacuum gauge set to sync the carbs, how or where are the lines attached? I thought the same nipples that the vac. for the petcock, but now am curious as here isn't one for the #1 carb.

thanks
    Fred
    Last edited by Guest; 10-07-2007, 12:55 AM. Reason: spelling

New old bike

You didn't give any background on the bike but here goes. Do you have a service manual? Have the carbs been cleaned? If so were they set properly? If they are not at least bench synced and adjusted it is a waste of time doing anything else. If an engine is not getting proper fuel the ignition system cannot make up for it no matter how good it is. Go to the carb service area of this site for a good overview. If you have a service manual rebuilding your carbs is not a big deal. Frustrating but not big. Once you have your carbs proper, post any future concerns or problems as they arise. Remember you're in good company here. We've all been where you are so feel free to cry on a shoulder.

Comment

Ps

Sorry. The vaccuum gauges come with fittings that thread into you intake manifolds. There are small screws that are found between the carb and the cylinder head. Please do yourself a favour if you have'nt works on motorcycle carbs before. Read posts on this site before starting so you will be familiar with their parts and what they do. As I said they are not difficult to work on but they can be frustrating till you get the hang of it.

Comment

A fuzzy black plug indicates that your running rich, too much gas. Just what did the shop do? Sounds like a carb job would be the place to start if they didn't do one. Please make sure you have a good air filter. Don't know, buy a new one. If the carb boot o-rings haven't been changed do that also.

Comment

Had the bike in a Suzuki shop to bring back to life, (been setting for a while)
          shop did a comp test, don't remember the numbers but
          they said it was ok.
          The carbs were supposed to be cleaned & rebuilt while at shop,they weren't what I would call dirty, So the carbs should be good, less some adjusting.

I plan to check intake O-rings soon, have some on order

Am in need of opinions to make me feel better, while trying to figure it out.

thanks

Comment

The air filter foam must be in good condition, and VERY LIGHTLY oiled. You must also make sure the airbox is sealed -- both side covers must be sealed airtight with self-stick foam weatherstripping. Also, there should be a foam seal on the top of the air filter cage to seal the top of the filter to the airbox. Replace with more self-stick weatherstripping if it's deteriorated or missing.

It also sounds like you need to fine tune the fuel and air screws -- search the forum for detailed instructions -- you have "VM" slide carbs.

If you have not replaced the intake boots AND o-rings, quit messing with it until you get these parts. It would also be an excellent idea to replace the carb/airbox boots.

And quit taking your GS to a shop -- that's an excellent way to end up poor and bikeless. An attentive owner with the help of the information on the forum will always do a better job than the stoned screwdriver monkeys at the average motorcycle shopl.
            Last edited by bwringer; 10-07-2007, 11:29 PM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Only took it to the shop the one time, learnt my lesson there,
              that's why I here torturing you guys with all these questions

I'm of the thought that it has a air leak and will replace the O-rings
              and am going to look at the points, just to see where they are.

air box looked good to me, but will check again

thanks

Comment

I would check the float levels in the carbs. A lot depends on proper float levels. I don't know what the VM carbs are set to, the manual would have that information.
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

hey howdy hey!

Mr. FredM,

Look at that. I'm really slipping! Ten posts and I have yet to say...

Let it be known that on this day you are hereby cordially and formally welcomed to the GSR Forum as a Junior Member in good standing with all the rights and privileges thereof. Please note that "good standing" implies pictures! :-D

Alright, another 850 on the road! Before you put too much effort into your carbs (they probably need it, don't get me wrong) you'll need to make sure your valve clearances are in spec. There's a thread in the Tech section here, or you can download a PDF here.

If you need a Suzuki shop manual for your bike, PM me. I might have an extra copy around here somewhere.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-08-2007, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Alright, another 850 on the road! Before you put too much effort into your carbs (they probably need it, don't get me wrong) you'll need to make sure your valve clearances are in spec. There a thread in the Tech section here, or you can download a PDF here.

If you need a Suzuki shop manual for your bike, PM me. I might have an extra copy around here somewhere.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Thank you,
                    but I think it should be thanks to all here for their patience
                    and understanding for putting up with me.

Have a Haynes and hope to have a Clymer manual soon,
                    with 2 manuals and everyone's help here, I might figure out how to get it on the road some day.

pictures are hard as I don't know how to post them and
                    ain't real puter savy, sometimes I send one e-mail and it gets where it's supposed to.\\/

Comment

Hey fred, if you are still having bike issues let me know maybe i can take a look at it for you. You have my number (rharr55 craigslist). oh yeah follow bwingers advise, he is usally dead on when it comes to 850's.
                      -Ryan
                      Last edited by first timer; 10-10-2007, 05:19 PM.
                      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                      82 Kat 1000 Project
                      05 CRF450x
                      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
                        Hey fred, if you are still having bike issues let me know maybe i can take a look at it for you. You have my number (rharr55 craigslist). oh yeah follow bwingers advise, he is usally dead on when it comes to 850's.
                        -Ryan

Thanks for the offer,
                        Will see how it works out after I get some more parts for it.

maybe we can go for a winter ride (not much snow in the winter here)
                        after I get it going.

Willcox is a nice drive from Tucson, come visit anytime

F

Comment

i'll keep that in mind! i am always looking for fun road trips.
                          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                          82 Kat 1000 Project
                          05 CRF450x
                          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
                          X