more wires that attach to nothing????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more wires that attach to nothing????

Alright the more i look at my 82 GS 750T.the more wires i find that are cut and lead to nowhere.any help would be great.

these wires are located at the front of the bike.i assume they should be attached some where in the headlight?

this is under the gas tank.i cannot located the male portion of this female connector.
    the blue wire on it's own in this pi is an unknown wire as well.since i can only post so many pics i have to start another thread to show the rest.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-06-2007, 07:04 PM.

You're not THAT Neil Young are you??

Anyway, I'm not completely sure, but those wires & that connector look like the gear indicator lights. Do you currently have "lit" numbers on your gage that correspond to the gear you are in? Are your gages original? Perhaps the PO had replaced the gage set with a different model & didn't take the time to connect all the plugs correctly.

My guess anyway.

Mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

nope not that Neil Young.i think you are rhight on,as i do not have the gear lights lit up.where are they supposed to go?into the headlight?

Comment

Originally posted by neil young View Post
        nope not that Neil Young.i think you are rhight on,as i do not have the gear lights lit up.where are they supposed to go?into the headlight?
        Yup, the intact connector-end wire you have should feed down to a gear position switch someplace (that's probably still there & OK)

The "cut wire" should bundle terminate inside the headlight to another 6-pin connector that should look just like the one under the gas tank (if memory serves me correctly). I believe it feeds out of a larger wire harness inside the headlight bucket.

Try "powering" each wire in the cut bundle directly from the battery to see which wire lights which gear number on the gage. Then correlate it to the connector end. You get the idea, play around with the wire connections between the two & the gear positions as well & you'll figure it out!!

Let me know how works out - good luck
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
          Try "powering" each wire in the cut bundle directly from the battery to see which wire lights which gear number on the gage. Then correlate it to the connector end.
          Actually, if you look at the wiring diagram, the gear indicator lights have a common power feed, and the "signal" wires are ground wires that go to the selector switch in the tranny.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve,

Always good to have a map!
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment