Cycle Alarms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cycle Alarms

Well, I went outside in the snowstorm last night to visit Suzi, and she was knocked over AGAIN... :x :? it happens 2-3 times a year and I'm fed up! Suzi deserves more respect than that! So I decided it's time for a cycle alarm, with a pager, but as a college student, I'm on more than a tight budget. JCWhitney has a cycle alarm with a pager for $99. I was wondering if anyone has used this system and if it's anygood. They claim a range of 1/2 a mile, but all I really need is something that can reach my room 3 floors up and about 50 ft over from where I park her. The building is brick, unfortunately, and it's not line-of-site. (I cannot see the bike from my window.) Will this system work or am I wasting money on the pager option? if it's not gonna page me, I might as well save some cash and just go for a regular 125dB alarm. Any suggestions? And no, I cannot afford a 300+ dollar system that will page me anywhere, I'm on a tight budget. Thank you

O.K., so when the pager goes off what happens. You jump up and look out the window. You see some drunken youths laughing and running from the scene. You quickly don some clothing and run down to find that they are gone and the bike is still going to be laying on its side. Or how about this, the youths aren't running away they are hanging out. And you run down and confront them. Someone gets their butt kicked, could be you, could be them and the bikes still laying on its side. Later on the same party boys are going to say "Let's go tip that guys bike over again 'cause he kicked our butts." or "Lets go tip that bike over again 'cause that was fun and we can kick his butt again." And again, the bikes still laying on its side.
    Kind of a no win situation. I know how hard it can be to find parking at places like this but maybe a different spot would be a better solution.

Steve

Comment

If you aren't living in the dorm and there is an elevator you could put it in your apartment...

As for the range, it ought to be designed well enough that it could reach you as you are quite close. I bet a walkie talkie could reach it so why not the alarm?

You may have to install the transmitter in such a way that you get a good signal pointing towards your apartment and then nail the receiver to the wall in a position that it gets a good signal too. I don't know if it would transmit too well when laying on its side though. That's a pretty sad situtation you've got there. If you were to chain your bike to a railing they'd cut up the seat...

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelie
        O.K., so when the pager goes off what happens. You jump up and look out the window. You see some drunken youths laughing and running from the scene. You quickly don some clothing and run down to find that they are gone and the bike is still going to be laying on its side. Or how about this, the youths aren't running away they are hanging out. And you run down and confront them. Someone gets their butt kicked, could be you, could be them and the bikes still laying on its side. Later on the same party boys are going to say "Let's go tip that guys bike over again 'cause he kicked our butts." or "Lets go tip that bike over again 'cause that was fun and we can kick his butt again." And again, the bikes still laying on its side.
        Kind of a no win situation. I know how hard it can be to find parking at places like this but maybe a different spot would be a better solution.

Steve
        ...or the pager goes off I call Campus Police two blocks away and the drunken youths get arrested... or the alarm goes off, 125 dB crush their eardrums, the pager goes off I call CP and go down there and confront them and someone gets arrested. I need an alarm, period. CP has done pretty good with catching vehicle vandals when they get a call quickly. I'd like to know when it gets tipped too

Comment

Years ago I was constantly having problems with people trying to steal my bike outside an apartment complex we lived in. They ruined three or four ignition switches pulling out the locking mechanism with dent pullers. I finally installed an alarm.

One time it went off and two guys on an 600 Yamaha took off around the backside of the complex. They didn't realize the place only had one exit. I met them at the entrance with a large rock. As they passed I threw it at the bike as hard as I could. Their eyes got pretty big as a softball sized rock sailed passed them, damn it, I missed.

After that I bought a single shot 20 guage. Not long after that some guys driving a Suburban and a Suzuki Samurai pulled up at about 4 a.m. as I was getting ready to head to work out of town. Two of them went to my bike and started to pull the cover off and go to work on a wheel lock. I couldn't believe they were so stupid, the lights were on in our apartment. I went out with the shotgun and hid behind a stone pillar. I asked them what the hell they thought they were doing? They all scattered and jumped into their vehicles. I blew a hole about 6" in diameter in the tailgate of the Samurai. Then I ran out to the fence that borders the street in front of the complex. As the Suburban passed I let it have a round. I went in and called the police and told them what happened and to watch for a Samurai with a large hole in the tailgate. I could hear other officers laughing in the background as the dispatcher repeated what I had told him. The officer that came out and took the report told me, "We aren't supposed to tell people this, but we wish more people would do what you did. We wouldn't have near as many thefts as we do."

I found out the next day from the complex manager that the culprits had gone on a spree the night before breaking into cars. They had used a cordless jigsaw to cut stereo receivers out of the dashes of cars. After what I did the complex stayed pretty quiet. Seems the same group had been pulling their dirty deeds for awhile around there.

Comment

Shotgun sounds like a great idea except they pretty much frown on that here in New York.
            I just keep my fingers crossed, not much else you can do.

Comment

Man, you've gotta love Texas. Yeehaw

Comment

Working...
              X