'78 GS750 Reassembly - Suggestions Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'78 GS750 Reassembly - Suggestions Needed

I finally completed painting of my current restoration project (3 coats of PPG acrylic urethane on the frame). Now I have a frame with engine hanging from the ceiling in my garage and many boxes of parts in the basement. I took a reasonable amount of care to bag and label everything that was removed from the bike. Virtually every part has been either painted, replaced or polished to "as new" condition. I've done restorations before one "section" at a time, but this is the first time I have removed vitually everything from the bike.

I'm hoping that there might be a handful of viewers out there who have performed this type of restoration. I'm in need of a set of directions for reassembly. Where do I start and what are the critical steps? Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

rickt

Here are a couple of pics of what awaits me in the garage.

[url=http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee179/rickt_photo/GSFrame1.jpg][IMG]

[url=http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee179/rickt_photo/GSFrame2.jpg][IMG]

[url=http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee179/rickt_photo/GSFrame3.jpg][IMG]

Rick,

For some reason, your photos didn't come up in the page

The most critical thing that I can think of is getting the motor back in place without scratching the frame.

I did mine by having it on a stand slightly higher than where it goes in the bike. I could pick it up and guide it into place without damage. This generally works better with another person helping.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Copy and paste the image code into your post.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It's quite obvious that I don't understand how to do this thing with digital pics. I downloaded the pics into photobucket and cut and pasted what I thought were the correct addresses for the photos, but obviously this did not work. I tried to give the sub album public access, but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Can someone help, please?

rickt

Comment

If anyone could view the pics (I obviously screwed up), you would see that the engine was not removed. So scratching the frame during engine installation is the least of my worries.

rickt

Comment

Originally posted by rickt View Post
            I finally completed painting of my current restoration project (3 coats of PPG acrylic urethane on the frame). Now I have a frame with engine hanging from the ceiling in my garage and many boxes of parts in the basement. I took a reasonable amount of care to bag and label everything that was removed from the bike. Virtually every part has been either painted, replaced or polished to "as new" condition. I've done restorations before one "section" at a time, but this is the first time I have removed vitually everything from the bike.

I'm hoping that there might be a handful of viewers out there who have performed this type of restoration. I'm in need of a set of directions for reassembly. Where do I start and what are the critical steps? Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

rickt

Here are a couple of pics of what awaits me in the garage.

Hope this works
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

chef,

Yes, this certainly does work! Can you tell me what I did wrong or didn't do so that I can get pictures on my next post.

Thanks for the assistance.

rickt

Comment

I changed around the HTML code from your post.
                After you upload your pics onto Photobucket copy and paste the IMG Code directly into the post.

Comment

I'm in the process of reassembling my 78 750, which was completely stripped down to include engine removal. I've also done the same with my 77 750. Basically, I kept track of the order of disassembly and reversed the process.

Anyway, I started with a bare frame and installed the triple trees, forks,handlebar, swingarm, shocks and both wheels. This gave me a rolling chasis that could be moved around. Next I put it up on a rear wheel stand and had a neighbor help me put the engine in the frame. I think at this point it's best to get the electrics sorted out so I installed the rear fender (because it supports the tail light and rear directionals), main harness, coils, battery box, all lights, instruments and controls. Next I installed both the front and rear braking systems without fluid. Once you get to this point the rest seems to come together naturally. Hope this at least gives you a place to start and if you have specific questions I'll try to answer them. Good luck.

Comment

All you need to do in Photobucket is single left click on the IMG line (the bottom one) and a little box saying (Copied)

Then paste it into your post
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks Big T, I'll try the left click method the next time around. Is the IMG line below each of the pictures?

I just gave a try to the IMG code cut and paste. I pasted it into an empty MS Word document and a blank e-mail. All I got was the long string of alpha numeric characters - no picture.

What part of this simple process am I missing?

rickt
                      Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2007, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X