Tire question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire question

My bike is a 1980 GS850 G with the mag type wheels. Not spokes.
    My dealer says I need to run tube type tires with tubes. I haven't dismounted one to take a look. Anyone?

I have a '80 GS850L, no spokes, mag type wheels, and I run tubeless. No problems thus far...........:-D And that's in the 33,000 miles since I bought the bike 3 years ago......:-D

Comment

I just put on a Bridgestone S11 tubeless on mine. No probs.
      NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
      Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Read the casting in between the 'spokes' on your rim. Some rims are approved for tubeless use, others do not say so. Some of the early cast rims were a bit porous and were not certified for tubeless use, but you might get away with it. If the rim says "Approved for tubless tires", then you can safely use them. If you choose to run tubeless tires on a non-approved rim, it will be at your own risk and your tire installer may have you sgn a waiver to that effect.

Some people have had decent success sealing the inside of the rim with a thin layer of epoxy or several coats of clear polyurethane.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It's only flat on one side!

Mr. logger,

On my bike, the rear wheel has "Tubeless applicable" marked on it. There is no such marking on my front wheel. Unfortunately I have no way of telling if either of these wheels are original.

I think the beads are a little different between tubed and tubeless tires/wheels. The difference is how the tire will behave when you have a flat. Even though it will hold air with no problem, during a flat the tubeless tire that is mounted on a "non-tubeless" wheel may come off quickly leaving you rolling down the road on the rim. Not a good scenario.

I put tubes in both of my tires. It seemed the sensible thing to do. It makes it harder to fix a flat, but at least the tire stands less chance of separating from the wheel if I do get a flat.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :-D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            I think the beads are a little different between tubed and tubeless tires/wheels. The difference is how the tire will behave when you have a flat. Even though it will hold air with no problem, during a flat the tubeless tire that is mounted on a "non-tubeless" wheel may come off quickly leaving you rolling down the road on the rim. Not a good scenario.

I put tubes in both of my tires. It seemed the sensible thing to do. It makes it harder to fix a flat, but at least the tire stands less chance of separating from the wheel if I do get a flat.

BassCliff

Yup, the rims are different for tubeless; there is an inner lip on tubeless wheels which help keep the tire from coming loose from the bead.

Regarding using a tube vs. going tubeless, if the tire goes flat, having a flat tube inside your tire is not going to help keep the tire on the rim. For that reason I think it's fine to run tubeless as long as you can get it to seal up properly. Tubes do nothing other than allow the assembly to hold air.
            Last edited by Nessism; 10-09-2007, 04:47 PM.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Went to have new tyres on the GS(X)1100 last year and was running a tubeless set up. When the fitter went to fit them he refused to fit a BT45 Bridgestone to my rims without a tube being fitted.

Only option was to have a tube fitted. Hasn't affected the handling of the bike at all. Both wheel have no marking to say that they are or aren't for tubeless fitment.

Suzuki mad.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                Mr. logger,

On my bike, the rear wheel has "Tubeless applicable" marked on it. There is no such marking on my front wheel. Unfortunately I have no way of telling if either of these wheels are original.

BassCliff

The main thing to be aware of when running a tube in a (designed for) tubeless tyre is that the tyre will run hotter with the tube in it, thus shortening the life of the tyre - or killing it (by wrecking the rubber compound). It also increases the unsprung weight - not a major problem unless racing.
                The benefit of having a tube in a tubeless tyre is that it heats it up - so you can get quite good performance from non-performance type tyres. They'll even go sticky, with proper encouragement.:-D
                The heating work around is to run the tyres at a slightly higher pressure (2 - 4 psi should help), without over pressuring the tyre. BTW - I've not had many flats - but when they have happened, I've never had a problem with the tyre coming off the bead...
                '07 Yamaha TTR 250 - Exercycle.
                '95 Ducati 900 SL - Duclattery
                '81 Suzuki/Yoshi GSX1135 ET/X - Yoshi
                '84 Suzuki McIntosh - Mac
                '74 Yamaha YZ125A - pain in the rrr's...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Read the casting in between the 'spokes' on your rim. Some rims are approved for tubeless use, others do not say so. Some of the early cast rims were a bit porous and were not certified for tubeless use, but you might get away with it. If the rim says "Approved for tubless tires", then you can safely use them.

That was the confusing part. The rear rim is approved for tubeless, the front isn't. Seems strange Suzuki would design wheels this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Read the casting in between the 'spokes' on your rim. Some rims are approved for tubeless use, others do not say so. Some of the early cast rims were a bit porous and were not certified for tubeless use, but you might get away with it. If the rim says "Approved for tubeless tires", then you can safely use them. If you choose to run tubeless tires on a non-approved rim, it will be at your own risk and your tire installer may have you sgn a waiver to that effect.

Some people have had decent success sealing the inside of the rim with a thin layer of epoxy or several coats of clear polyurethane.

agreed, I have always run tubeless on my 80. the rear holds pressure with negligible loss, the front looses 3psi over two months.

cleaning the inside real well and applying a thin coat of epoxy seals them good.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
                      Went to have new tyres on the GS(X)1100 last year and was running a tubeless set up. When the fitter went to fit them he refused to fit a BT45 Bridgestone to my rims without a tube being fitted.

Only option was to have a tube fitted. Hasn't affected the handling of the bike at all. Both wheel have no marking to say that they are or aren't for tubeless fitment.

Suzuki mad.
                      Next time spring for some tire irons and throw 'em on yourself. Way easier than tubed.
                      NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                      Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Great info!

Originally posted by Nessism
                        Yup, the rims are different for tubeless; there is an inner lip on tubeless wheels which help keep the tire from coming loose from the bead.

Regarding using a tube vs. going tubeless, if the tire goes flat, having a flat tube inside your tire is not going to help keep the tire on the rim. For that reason I think it's fine to run tubeless as long as you can get it to seal up properly. Tubes do nothing other than allow the assembly to hold air.
                        Originally posted by Steveb64
                        The main thing to be aware of when running a tube in a (designed for) tubeless tyre is that the tyre will run hotter with the tube in it, thus shortening the life of the tyre - or killing it (by wrecking the rubber compound). It also increases the unsprung weight - not a major problem unless racing.
                        The benefit of having a tube in a tubeless tyre is that it heats it up - so you can get quite good performance from non-performance type tyres. They'll even go sticky, with proper encouragement.:grin:
                        The heating work around is to run the tyres at a slightly higher pressure (2 - 4 psi should help), without over pressuring the tyre. BTW - I've not had many flats - but when they have happened, I've never had a problem with the tyre coming off the bead...
                        I just wanted to thank Mr. Nessism and Mr. Steveb64 for furthering my education. I do run my tires with just a few pounds of extra pressure most of the time. And it's good to hear that Mr. Steveb64 has never had a flat tire come off.

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                        X