Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help, need opinion on reliability of late-80's Honda engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, need opinion on reliability of late-80's Honda engine.

Does anyone have any experience with late-80's Honda motorcycles?

I'm looking for a winter project, and I know of a 1987 Honda Interceptor 500cc that is in need of some work.

If I remember correctly, were there not issues with the cranks, or cams, or bearings or something on these engines?

I plan to rebuild the engine over the winter anyway, but still, I do not
    need to end up with a dreaded "weak link" somewhere.

Please let me know if I should just pass this one by.

VF500F (Interceptor) was made from '84 - '86, no '87.

All the first generation Honda V4 engines had problems with eating cams/rockers. The cause of the problem is debatable but relates to: forked rockers can twist thus causing edge wear on the cam/rocker, not enough oil flow. There are upgrade kits to improve the oiling system, not particularly cheap though. The 500's also had issues with droping valves as well (not sure about the other bikes in the VF family).

Before you purchase one of these bikes you had better check the upper end very carefully. Cams and rockers are expensive and you can get up side down on a project like that very easily.

Good news is that the mini Interceptor is a great handling bike. I had one back in the late 80's and loved it. Suspension is a little soft but I liked it that way considering I was only 155 lbs back then.

Good stuff...except for that valve train...
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks a lot for this information.

Comment

Also, if you buy it, pulling the carbs on a V4 will bring forth new swear words. It's not at all like an inline 4.
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Save yourself the trouble and get a Shadow or Magna. There were serious oiling issues with the Interceptor.

However, if there is no problems with the cams (kinda hard to diagnose without major surgery), there are websites that show how to make an adapter and line to force oil to the head first and eliminate the oiling issue.

I realize that the Shadow may not be a sportbike, but the VT700-VT750 engines were bulletproof. Water cooled, dual plug, shaft drive, electronic ignition, secondary gas tank, fuel pump, cool looks, these bikes were years ahead of their time.

If you're looking for a "sport" v-twin, you might look for an XV650, basically a sport version of the Yamaha Virago. I might have the letter designation wrong though. Or a Suzuki SV800.

Comment

The first year the 500 intercepter came out it had an issue
            with crank bearings. The magazine that tested it made a
            big stink about it and it was probably fixed in later years.
            (I like reading 80s motorcycle mags).Of all the bikes I have
            ridden the 500 intercepter handled the best on the street.
            There is a mechanic on the BTK forum that is planning on
            restoring one but he has been wrenching on bikes for a
            liveing for many years....... Not a simple engine.

Comment

Working...
            X