Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS425 Should a newbie make his first buy??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS425 Should a newbie make his first buy??

Hello all,

I have lurked and searched before but finally made it official.

I am looking at a 1979 GS425 with 16000 on the clock.

I am wanting a bike to learn on and it will not be my only mode of transportation.

Bike is not currently running--When I looked the bike over the owner was explaining why he thought it wasn't getting spark. He said that he noticed that one of the coils was getting hot when the ignition was on or when he tried to crank it. We pulled the tank and I noticed that the wires to one of the coils was crossed. I changed it back and the bike still wouldn't fire. I had to leave and he emailed back that he tested for spark and that one side (cylinder) was dead. He switched coils and the problem moved to the other side.

The horn and signals, dash, headlight all work

The pipes and the rest of the chrome look good--8 or 9 out of 10

The tank has a dent but is not rusted and no old gas smell.

Handlebars have a slight bend (Hit the tank)

The seat cover is trashed and its missing the left side cover

Tires are good

Brakes seem to work

No real rust on the bike

Overall condition 6.5 out of 10 (looks)

---I would appreciate opinions on what kind of money to offer for the bike AND opinions on the probability of it running without a much more than a new coil and a carb cleaning.

I am a newbie and bow to your expertise and welcome advise and opinions[-o<
    GS Score Card
    4-400 Series GS's
    3-500 Series
    1-600 Series
    1-700 Series
    4-800 Series
    1-1000 Series
    2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
    sigpic

Should run fairly easily if you have some mechanical appitude. Before purchaing do an inventory on things like the battery, tires, chain, etc. Those parts all cost money so keep this in mind before you make an offer.

Good luck and post some photos if you buy it.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

It may be a good one, a diamond in the rough, but they don't go for much in that shape. It depends on the location, but a few hundred at most for a non-runner. Post a few pics, someone on here will notice things about it that you haven't.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

hi dont get one there a real pig to start in the cold they have no fast idle and any attempt to rev them before there warm kills it i know i got one

Comment

Originally posted by gsx/gs biker View Post
          hi dont get one there a real pig to start in the cold they have no fast idle and any attempt to rev them before there warm kills it i know i got one
          Yeah, don't touch the throttle when it's cold - it disables the choke - so then it dies. Poke around the forums a bit, and you'll find that it's a pig because it's not tuned correctly - not because it's designed badly.

Comment

GS425EN.
            Sold in the UK between 1979 and 1980. Came in red, black or blue. Twin cylinder single disc brake on the front, cast wheels and drum rear. Should have points ignition. Very rare now in the UK and they fetch between £200 to £500 from non-runners to good condition.
            Parts are avaliable including tanks and exhausts but very few seats.

Not sure about starting as mine started first time on the starter (in 1980). Lever choke so its on or off.

Where abouts are you. Can suggest places in the UK for NOS parts.

Its as good a place to start as any, unless there's a bike you rearly want then thats the one to get.

Suzuki mad.

Comment

My rule of thumb: Never pay more than $300 for a non-running bike less than 750cc engine displacement.
              You inevitably need to invest at least $400 (typical items like tires, chain, and battery easily sum up to that). Sometimes as much as $1000 (depending on many variables - charging system, ignition system - these typically have at least some issues, as in your case with the bad coil). This cost estimation applies for something that parts can be found for on eBay. If it's a rare bike you can end up spending a ton on parts alone.
              Also, expect to invest between 30 and 60 hours of wrenching depending on your experience/knowledge level.
              Also, you will almost never be able to sell the bike for anything near the amount you put into it.

Comment

If you can find a running GS in your price range, hold out, but if you really want this bike and can spend some time and money on it get it. I have one, it was my first bike and I still think it's a great bike for tearing around the city not so much an interstate bike (ask me about trying to keep up with the guys during the western states rally with 3x the engine!). It is really light (especially with the starter out!), easy to fix, small (read easy to push when it breaks), fun, and it sounds pretty damn good too. I've put a Boyer Bransden electronic ignition, New R/R, took the tacky gauge cluster out, SS brake line, new bars & grips. A good bit of change but it was worth it to me.
                But not running, don't give him more than $200 bucks because a Norton or BSA it ain't. If you are in the area I would be more than happy to help out.

Comment

Still Waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have not been able to make the deal work! The guy is stuck at $450.00.

I agree with all of you that the price is too high and I just can't stomach that kind of money for a non running bike. I will try to wait him out and meanwhile look elsewhere.-----I did come across a 1975 KZ400 that runs but leaked oil like a sive and the mufflers were trashed. That guy wants $400.00 for that one. Any ideas on that?

Frustrated in KC.

Jim
                  GS Score Card
                  4-400 Series GS's
                  3-500 Series
                  1-600 Series
                  1-700 Series
                  4-800 Series
                  1-1000 Series
                  sigpic

Comment

I've found that if you look every day on eBay you will eventually find that perfect project bike you've been thinking of. It may take weeks of looking (don't rush it - wait for the right deal!!) and you've got to be willing to drive up to 6 hours (each way) to pick it up. It helps to have a mini-van or truck, because renting a van/truck adds about $100 to the whole cost of the purchase.
                    My wife hates when I "commandeer" her mini-van and disappear for 14 hours to get a bike (though it's usually fun for me), so I've been toying with the idea of trying to find something closer.
                    Then I realize: I wish I could start a project now, but I've got way too much going on right now besides the bike-related stuff (I've got three bikes, all runners).
                    Last edited by Guest; 10-15-2007, 03:21 PM.

Comment

I'm seeing prices dropping on craig's list in our area for running old bikes.

I may consider paying $450 for that bike if it was in rideable shape but
                      as is I would avoid it as a first bike.

Instead look for something which starts reliably and runs smooth and clean.

Pay a little extra if you need to but get a well running bike as your first.

Then you can get your hands dirty getting the maintenance items taken
                      care of.

Comment

Originally posted by jimfj View Post
                        I have not been able to make the deal work! The guy is stuck at $450.00.

I agree with all of you that the price is too high and I just can't stomach that kind of money for a non running bike. I will try to wait him out and meanwhile look elsewhere.-----I did come across a 1975 KZ400 that runs but leaked oil like a sive and the mufflers were trashed. That guy wants $400.00 for that one. Any ideas on that?

Frustrated in KC.

Jim
                        Just as a point of reference...I paid $400 for my GS450, non running, with a parts bike thrown in. I'd say no more than $250 for either bike. My GS was 100% complete when I bought it so make sure you take off for any parts missing. What part of the country are you in? We may have some members in your area that can lead you to a good bike.
                        1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
                        The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

I spoke with the seller and he has ordered the replacment coils. He/we will try to start the bike after replacing them and move on from there. He believes there are no other problems and it should start and run. Either way the deal goes the burden of proof is on him.

I appreciate the advice from everyone and will keep you updated.

To answer SNARK, I live in the Kansas City area.

Thanks

Jim
                          GS Score Card
                          4-400 Series GS's
                          3-500 Series
                          1-600 Series
                          1-700 Series
                          4-800 Series
                          1-1000 Series
                          sigpic

Comment

Used bike prices drop with the temperature......

Where do you live? There are probably other out there, if you look for them.
                            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Hang in there. Read this about buying a bike, too:

I searched for weeks and finally found two good bikes with no real problems for $1100 and chose the better one but I also wasted a lot of time looking at crappy bikes before that. It is really irritating when you get your hopes up about someone's bike that "runs good" and you drive an hour to check it out and the battery is almost dead and two headers are cold when you finally get it started and the engine races when you turn the bars and the throttle binds. Most people take really bad care of their bikes. Also post wanted ads in the bikes wanted forum here and on other sites (if something besides a GS is an option). I'd wager that people who waste time on motorcycle forums take better care of their bikes than people who don't, on average.

Comment

Working...
                              X