Sounds like...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like...

After starting my '82 GS1100G, and when it's not quite warmed up, I can hear what sounds like a rhythmic "click" that seems to be coming from the left side (when sitting on bike) of the engine. At idle (approx 1100 rpm), it goes click..., click..., click..., about every 3 secs or so. If I bring the RPM's up to around 2500, it goes away. Any idea what this may be, and if it's fatal?

Another issue (maybe related?) is when the bike is still relatively cool (choke is off), I can hear the engine rev (slip) at WOT in gear (usually high gear). If I back off the throttle, it will grab OK. Once warm, the WOT / slippage issue goes away. Is this a clutch on borrowed time?

Maybe these are stupid questions, but there you have it.

TIA, mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

If it's slipping ANY and your cable is properly, it's probably time to order replacement parts. Even at WOT my GS1150 doesn't slip, so it shouldn't be normal. No idea about the clicking noise.

JM

Comment

The clutch fibers in G models last nearly forever.

However, the springs sag over the years. This is a very common and well-known problem.

Simply replace the clutch springs with new OEM and ride happy. 15 minutes and $20 worth of parts (six clutch springs and a clutch cover gasket) and you're done. You don't even need to drain the oil -- simply put the bike on the kickstand so the oil is on the other side when you pull the clutch cover.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm thinking - I've never opened up that side of the engine before, is re-buildng the clutch a difficult task? What are the "wear" parts to order?

As I stated, I've not had that pleasure before!

Thanks,
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          The clutch fibers in G models last nearly forever.

However, the springs sag over the years. This is a very common and well-known problem.

Simply replace the clutch springs with new OEM and ride happy. 15 minutes and $20 worth of parts (six clutch springs and a clutch cover gasket) and you're done. You don't even need to drain the oil -- simply put the bike on the kickstand so the oil is on the other side when you pull the clutch cover.
          Thanks Mr.bwringer, I like the sound of that! Any idea about the clicking noise?

BTW - I've recently used a colortune plug (I saw on your site) and was quite happy with it, after I played with it for a bit.

Thanks,
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
            Thanks Mr.bwringer, I like the sound of that! Any idea about the clicking noise?

When is the last time you checked the valve clearances?

Another possible reason is a stuck cam chain tensioner.

Keep in mind that the GS engines are not the quietest around - lots of mechanical clatter. My guess is that if the noise goes away when warm you don't have anything to worry about (which is no reason to neglect the valves if you haven't done a recent adjustment).
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Could also be end play in the cams starting to make itself known...

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                When is the last time you checked the valve clearances?
                I bought the bike from a dis-gruntled owner earlier this summer (he was not the mechanically inclined type). He had spent A LOT of money at the local-yokel bike shop getting this bike to run. The receipts I have show a recent valve adjustment, but no data regarding the shim sizes added or replaced. I think they are also now out-of-business.

Incidently, all I did was adjust the carb mix screws & idle adjust screw & this bike starts & runs like a bear!

Yes, I agree, all my GS bikes are fairly noisey - still learning what's a "good" noise from from a "bad" noise.

Thanks for the input - I am planning on taking the cam chain idler apart to clean it, but I'm not wanting to remove the carbs just yet to get at it!.

Thanks,
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Shims under the cam need to be checked, they tighten up as the engine wears, and sometimes slack off

Comment

Since you mentioned the Colortune, it might be worth checking if the #1 and #2 sparkplugs are properly tightened....if they were left semi-tight, they will start to back out and cause the clicking sound as they leak ....easier to hear at idle.

Tony.
                    '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                      Since you mentioned the Colortune, it might be worth checking if the #1 and #2 sparkplugs are properly tightened....if they were left semi-tight, they will start to back out and cause the clicking sound as they leak ....easier to hear at idle.

Tony.
                      Haven't heard that one before, I'll check them this weekend (when it stops rainning!)

Thanks,
                      '85 GS550L - SOLD
                      '85 GS550E - SOLD
                      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                      '81 GS750L - SOLD
                      '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                      X