GS 650 won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 650 won't start

I have a 1982 GS 650L that won't start. It has happened a couple times this summer (won't start in the morning but when I get home it fires right up). This time it won't start at all, no sputter or anything. I pulled the plugs and they are all dry. The service manual said to pull the fuel line from the petcock and to see if the screen is clogged in the tank. I havent had a chance to do this yet but does anyone else have any ideas? The bike runs great but this is getting a little old.

Also check the fuel likes for kinks, could be a kinked like stopping the fuel flow all together. Or something in the tank creating a blockage ~

JM

Comment

Not starting when cold is a classic symptom of tight valves. Do a valve adjustment and the bike should start easily.

Another possibility is merely setting the petcock on PRIME to allow the bowls to fill before trying to start.

Last edited by Steve; 10-27-2007, 05:46 PM.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey howdy hey!

Mr. nomar5ss,

Before I try to answer your questions let me say...

Let it be known that on this day you are hereby cordially and formally welcomed to the GSR Forums as a Junior Member with all the rights and privileges thereof. Please note that "good standing" implies pictures! :-D

The collective will need a little more information about your symptoms. I'm sure you know that the basic necessities are fuel, air, spark and compression.

The petcock is vacuum controlled. They go bad. If you put the petcock in the PRIME position will the bike start? Note: Do not leave the petcock in the PRIME position or gas will leak into your cabs, motor, crankcase and other places. NOT GOOD! If the petcock is bad, just get a new one so you don't have to worry about it for another 20 years.

Do all the plugs get spark? Have you pulled them and cranked the motor to verify that you see a spark? Are the plug wires good? Good connections?

How long has it been since you've adjusted the valves? The valve clearances tend to tighten up over time (especially the exhaust valves). It they're too tight the engine won't run properly.

I'm sure some of the more experienced of the group can offer more/better suggestions and ask smarter questions. But this should give you a start.

Thanks for joining us!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        (The unofficial GSR greeter)

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses. The thing is it ran great one day, I went to start it the next day and nothing happened. I guess I'll order a new petcock for the hell of it.

Comment

forgot to mention that I haven't tried the prime setting yet. It crapped out at my parents and I haven't had a chance to mess with it other than checking to see if the plugs were nasty. I'll try to get to it this weekend.

Comment

anything ever come of this?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Not starting when cold is a classic symptom of tight valves. Do a valve adjustment and the bike should start easily.

So I read this post looking for possibilities why neither my 77 or 78 GS750's will start. After reading that it could be a valve promlem, I wanted to reassure myself before I dive into adjusting the valves on both bikes. Since the cold hit here in Utah about 6 weeks ago, my 77 wanted to stop starting. I would have to run it down my parking lot a number of times before it'd finally want to continue running. Which to me, felt like it was just too cold and needed to get to a certain temp before it wanted to run. Which, after reading this post makes sense to me that it'd be the valves. Also, if I put a heater on it for a couple of hours it starts right up, on either of them.

So, do I need to shim my valves so they open properly? Also, has anyone done this, or know of someone online that has scripted the procedure step by step? Thanks ahead of time for helping.

Comment

Originally posted by nomar5ss View Post
                  I have a 1982 GS 650L that won't start. It has happened a couple times this summer (won't start in the morning but when I get home it fires right up). This time it won't start at all, no sputter or anything. I pulled the plugs and they are all dry. The service manual said to pull the fuel line from the petcock and to see if the screen is clogged in the tank. I havent had a chance to do this yet but does anyone else have any ideas? The bike runs great but this is getting a little old.
                  If the plugs are dry, best bet is a fuel issue. If the choke circuits are plugged, your plugs will be dry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                    If the plugs are dry, best bet is a fuel issue. If the choke circuits are plugged, your plugs will be dry.
                    Originally posted by Zuriick View Post
                    Also, if I put a heater on it for a couple of hours it starts right up, on either of them.

So, do I need to shim my valves so they open properly? Also, has anyone done this, or know of someone online that has scripted the procedure step by step? Thanks ahead of time for helping.
                    This also points to carb issues. These bike run very lean, when the temps drop your need for fuel goes up. By heating the bike, in a sense, your tricking it into thinking it is warmer than it really is. As a result, it needs less fuel on start up to run and less time to reach actual opperating temps.

Comment

Seek and ye shall find

Originally posted by Zuriick View Post
                      Always consult the manual for your particular motorcycle but you can look here to familiarize yourself with the procedure.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks BassCliff for the manual step by step process file. You wanna fly to Salt Lake and do it for me? Looks like a nice little process, but it'll be a good experience. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                        X