Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Main fuse keeps blowing ever since Dyna S installation.Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main fuse keeps blowing ever since Dyna S installation.Help!

Hey everyone...I need your help on this one...

I have a 1980 Suzuki GS1100E and...

1. I replaced the ignition system with a new Dyna S

2. Ever since the installation, the main fuse blows when trying to start the bike.

Question:

The Main Fuse is 15 Amps (based on the old ignition system on the bike)..is it possible that the new Dyna S I.S. needs a 20Amp fuse or higher? I can't figure out why the fuse is blowing.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Otherwise I'll be forced to take this to a mechanic...

Thanks!

P.S. Hap, any thoughts? :-)

Rudi
    San Antonio, TX

1-210-945-4049 (feel free to call if you want)

Re: Main fuse keeps blowing...HELP!!!

Rudi, on the Dyna S, the crankshaft sensors are each powered by a lead from the coil negative sides. The left coil - powers the left sensor (located at the 9 0clock position on the breaker plate) and the right coil - powers the right sensor (located on the breaker plate at the 3 oclock position. The red wire goes to the coil + power input side. Do you have it wired this way?

Earl

Originally posted by Rudi

2. Ever since the installation, the main fuse blows when trying to start the bike.

Question:

The Main Fuse is 15 Amps (based on the old ignition system on the bike)..is it possible that the new Dyna S I.S. needs a 20Amp fuse or higher? I can't figure out why the fuse is blowing.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Otherwise I'll be forced to take this to a mechanic...

Thanks!

Rudi
    San Antonio, TX

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

No, but it is possible that you got a wire mixed up or pinched somewhere. I repaired a similar situation on a friends bike. He replaced a coil and got the primary wire caught between the coil and frame. It took out the main fuse and not the ignition fuse.I don't know why.
      Anyways, you would do well to double check eveything you did and look for something along those lines.

Steve

Comment

Does it blow the fuse when you push the start button or when you turn the key?

Comment

Re: Main fuse keeps blowing...HELP!!!

Originally posted by earlfor
          Rudi, on the Dyna S, the crankshaft sensors are each powered by a lead from the coil negative sides. The left coil - powers the left sensor (located at the 9 0clock position on the breaker plate) and the right coil - powers the right sensor (located on the breaker plate at the 3 oclock position. The red wire goes to the coil + power input side. Do you have it wired this way?

Earl

Question:

Thanks!

Rudi
          San Antonio, TX

hmmm...interesting question you bring up. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure. But when I get home tonight I'll check. (a friend who is pretty knowledgable with kind of stuff was the one who installed it. But then again, nobody is exempt from making a mistake)

I'll let you know what I find out. Thank you!!!

Rudi

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelie
            No, but it is possible that you got a wire mixed up or pinched somewhere. I repaired a similar situation on a friends bike. He replaced a coil and got the primary wire caught between the coil and frame. It took out the main fuse and not the ignition fuse.I don't know why.
            Anyways, you would do well to double check eveything you did and look for something along those lines.

Steve
            Steve,

You may be right on this one. The Dyna S has three wires coming from it. One Red...one white..and one black. We have the Red one connected onto the Orange/white wire...which leads up to the ignition coils. Interestingly, I traced the orange/white wire back to the ignition fuse.

Shouldn't the Dyna S "red" wire be connected to a wire that can be traced back to the MAIN fuse? Just a stab in the dark....

Rudi

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
              Does it blow the fuse when you push the start button or when you turn the key?
              Srivett,

It blows after trying to start the bike (when I push the start button). Not sure if this is important...but it takes approximately 10-15 seconds of trying to start the bike before the fuse blows.

Comment

The red wire coming from the Dyna S is to be connected to a switched 12 volt positive lead. It really doesnt matter whether it is fed off of the ignition or main fuse. The power draw is very low on the dyna system so either fuse would handle it just fine.

Earl

Shouldn't the Dyna S "red" wire be connected to a wire that can be traced back to the MAIN fuse? Just a stab in the dark....

Rudi

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

OK then, if the Dyna system was shorting out, it would blow the fuse without your ever touching the starter. Simply turning on the ignition switch would be sufficient to blow the fuse. You would also be blowing out the ign fuse instead of the main. It sounds like your Dyna and ignition circuit is probably ok. I would look to the starter circuit and its connectors and wiring condition. Hard or brittle wires, or wires that show signs of excessive heating are a giveaway.

I would check my wiring and connections. One quick way to check to see if further checking is needed is to unplug the starter lead from the starter relay.
                  That way, you can switch the ignition on and hold the starter button down without the starter being in the circuit. This will activate the starter relay and you will have power available at its output terminal. The voltage available should be pretty close to the voltage at the battery terminals. If there is a big difference, (my bike shows about 2/10 ths of a volt drop) you likely have increased resistance in the wiring due to aging, corrosion or faulty connectors. I think what is happening is that aging/corrosion of the wiring has increased resistance enough to cause a power draw in excess of your fuse rating. Increasing the size of the fuse will only result in burning up your wiring, so you have to find the cause.

If you can meassure your battery voltage and then the available voltage at the starter relay output terminal (the one that feeds the starter wire)
                  and let us know what kind of voltage drop you have, we can take it from there. There are only two possibilities. Either its the wiring/switches/grounds, or its the starter.

Earl

Comment

It takes 15 seconds? That's odd. Does the bike start in that time? If it doesn't you need to pull everything apart and start over.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                      OK then, if the Dyna system was shorting out, it would blow the fuse without your ever touching the starter. Simply turning on the ignition switch would be sufficient to blow the fuse. You would also be blowing out the ign fuse instead of the main. It sounds like your Dyna and ignition circuit is probably ok. I would look to the starter circuit and its connectors and wiring condition. Hard or brittle wires, or wires that show signs of excessive heating are a giveaway.

I would check my wiring and connections. One quick way to check to see if further checking is needed is to unplug the starter lead from the starter relay.
                      That way, you can switch the ignition on and hold the starter button down without the starter being in the circuit. This will activate the starter relay and you will have power available at its output terminal. The voltage available should be pretty close to the voltage at the battery terminals. If there is a big difference, (my bike shows about 2/10 ths of a volt drop) you likely have increased resistance in the wiring due to aging, corrosion or faulty connectors. I think what is happening is that aging/corrosion of the wiring has increased resistance enough to cause a power draw in excess of your fuse rating. Increasing the size of the fuse will only result in burning up your wiring, so you have to find the cause.

If you can meassure your battery voltage and then the available voltage at the starter relay output terminal (the one that feeds the starter wire)
                      and let us know what kind of voltage drop you have, we can take it from there. There are only two possibilities. Either its the wiring/switches/grounds, or its the starter.

Earl
                      Great info to work from, Earl. Thank you so much. I'm going to be checking the Starter tomorrow night. Will let you know what I found!

Regards,

Rudi

Comment

Until tomorrow then. :-) We'll find it. :-)

Earl

[quote="Rudi"]
                        I'm going to be checking the Starter tomorrow night. Will let you know what I found!

Comment

Working...
                        X