No announcement yet.

syncing carbs w/ pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re-evalueateing my factory service manuel and clymer manuel both books have the outside levels higher and the middle two levels slightly lower, by about a 1/8th. that is for a bike with a stock setup. i applogize if i may have led some down a wrong path prior. hopeful we can get this settled.
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I've owned 2 brands of mercury gauges and they both said for Suzuki's,make all 4 as level as possible. I think the different levels is peculiar to the Suzuki steel ball gauge. KK.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

With the newer CV type carbs, the middle two balls (cylinders #2 and #3) should be half the diameter of the ball LOWER than the two outside ones (cylinders #1 and #4). That is with the stock induction and exhaust.

Comment

I have sync'n d my 1150 38 flatslides every year since installation. I alyaws try to get them level at about 3500 to 4000 rpm. That is were I do most of my every day driving. The few times I gave up when I thought they were " close enough" the bike ran rougher and had a slight vibration . When I get all cylinders level on the mercury carb stix it runs great.

skip

Comment

I may be wrong on this but..... If your mixture settings are correct then the synchronisation is all a matter of how it performs on the road. Do it like the manual says go for a run and then do them all level and see which is prefferable.

Comment

Originally posted by Big N Daft
              I may be wrong on this but..... If your mixture settings are correct then the synchronisation is all a matter of how it performs on the road. Do it like the manual says go for a run and then do them all level and see which is prefferable.
              Not so daft after all

Comment

OK, Im getting a gs550

The guy has a brandnew set of unipod filters. I'd let to fit them. So I would need to sync the carbs after I put them on right?

I was looking into the manometer with the steel rods, its kind of pricey, like 85 USD... how much is a set of mercury sticks and where can I get them in the US?

Is it worth moving up to pod filters?

I'd like to be able to sync the carbs anyway, and it doesn't seem that hard to do, can anyone explain the process in detail?

Comment

Originally posted by conquestpa
                  OK, Im getting a gs550

The guy has a brandnew set of unipod filters. I'd let to fit them. So I would need to sync the carbs after I put them on right?

I was looking into the manometer with the steel rods, its kind of pricey, like 85 USD... how much is a set of mercury sticks and where can I get them in the US?

Is it worth moving up to pod filters?

I'd like to be able to sync the carbs anyway, and it doesn't seem that hard to do, can anyone explain the process in detail?
                  If you do go to pods then the chances are you will have to rejet to take into account the increased air flow. If its not a performance issue and you aren't bothered about the looks or the sound of it then leave it stock. You could be creating a world of bother if you aren't au fait with carburation. Jet kits for a two carb GS550 would cost over $85 I would imagine, and if your's is a four carb then even more.

As far as a synch tool goes, if you work out how much a shop would charge to balance your carbs and then factor in fuel economy savings and wear and tear on the transmission and gearbox then $85 is a bargain, it'd probably cost you $50 to get them done once in a shop, and you'd probably only do that once a year, whereas if you have a set to hand you'll Be more likely to do it more regulalrly. have you got any Biker pals locally who can go dutch? or is there a tool hire place that'll rent out?. Failing that there are cheaper guages around but I think that Carbtune or Mercury are definately better.

Comment

This site has instructions for the carbtune

Comment

I paid $49 dollars for my mercury "carb stix" thru J.C whitney. Its not the best but it gets the job done over and over again

Comment

Dennis kirk has a set for about the same price too.

Comment

Working...
                        X