How to install new stator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install new stator?

Well, the charging system just gave up its last gasp after 33k miles on the 80 GS1000 so it looks like it's time to replace the stator and r/r. The bike and lights will run indefinately after a charge and keep running till you turn it off, then the electric start doesn't work anymore after running it for a few hours and you have to bump start it. I considered buying a multimeter to diagnose the exact source of the issue per the Stator Papers, but the stator and r/r were probably overdue for replacement anyways after 27 years of service. The battery is only a few months old and will hold a charge consistently for long periods of time without loss. It's just not getting any juice put back into it.

How do you actually replace the stator? The service manual is vague at best. Is it pretty obvious once you get the stator cover off? Do you need to drain the oil first, and is a new gasket required when reinstalling the stator cover? Any tricks or gotchas looming in there?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Guest; 10-15-2007, 08:04 PM.

R/R is about $100, stator is about $120.
    Multimeter could be $30.
    Maybe with multi meter you can checkout the stator (without having to remove that engine case cover)..

Last edited by Redman; 10-15-2007, 08:33 PM.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
      R/R is about $100, stator is about $120.
      Multimeter could be $30.
      Maybe with multi meter you can checkout the stator (without having to remove that engine case cover)..

That sounds like a real good idea. Maybe re-grounding everything would help too. My bike is 27 years old, has 57,619 miles on it (I got it with 25k 3 1/2 years ago), I put in a new r/r, didn't need it, so now I have spare. Amazing what good grounds will do. I also put a permanent voltmeter on so I know when it's charging and when it isn't.......:-D

Comment

C'mon Paul. Go to wally world and get a multimeter and do the stator papers. It's no big deal.
        If you do need to replace the stator you'll need an impact driver to get those pos phillip screws out. (on the stator itself and the cover) I've never drained the oil to take the stator cover off.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

when the bike's sitting on the side stand the oil shouldn't be high enough to leak out when you remove the cover. BUT, i seem to remember having to remove the sprocket cover and the starter cover to run the wire.
          2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
          82 gs1100L probably the next project
          1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
          1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP
          https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2f1debec_t.jpg

Comment

I always like to post a link to the infamous Ice109 thread from a few years back on stator cover removal. Do not try this at home.
            Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
              I always like to post a link to the infamous Ice109 thread from a few years back on stator cover removal. Do not try this at home.
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=67142
              LOL, that might work if the cover weren't made of aluminum.... 8-[

Comment

Dude...i just read that WHOLE thread expecting someone to ACTUALLY try it...very relieved no one was dumb enough to try it, but also somewhat disappointed..Is that sick?? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                  http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=67142
                  Thanks Billy,
                  I've heard of that thread for years and never had the pleasure of reading it. Thanks for nothing ;-)
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    Thanks Billy,
                    I've heard of that thread for years and never had the pleasure of reading it. Thanks for nothing ;-)
                    You're very welcome. Sorry for the long read that led nowhere. That thread was about the last we ever heard from Ice. He may have applied some more theory and blown himself up.

Comment

Not sure you got an answer....

step 1, put bike on center stand.
                      step 2, take out the 8 or so bolts that hold the stator cover on (NOTE: they are different lengths so come up with a way to keep track which one goes where.
                      step 3, drink a beer after all your hard work
                      step 4, get rubber mallet and start wacking off on the stator cover. wacking on all sides many times in a circle seemed to get it loose for me. I think its the gasket as opposed to the magnet that makes it so hard to get off.
                      step 4, put small pan or something underneath the bike to catch any oil that happens to come out, mine lost some and I caught it in the bottom 1/2 of a milk container
                      step 5, pull stator cover straight off. If stuck, have another beer, cuss at it and start wacking again...repeat...
                      step 6, once side cover is off, have another beer or wack if you like....
                      step 7, you'll need to disconnect stator wires further up the bike or just snip them off if replacing the stator.
                      step 8, stator held in the stator cover by 3 bolts, but to get the whole thing out you need to also loosen up the ones holding the stator wire outta the way. (these were hard for me to get out, I had to get help from my neighbor with a blowtorch to get them free).
                      step 9, clean the gasket off the cover and where it goes on the bike really well
                      step 10, reassemble, use new gasket to get cover back on....

how's that?

Comment

Without wanting to leak oil all over the place I leaned the bike up against the garage. (Stator is on the left side so no side stand here)... Follow the directions about getting the screws out and keeping them in order.... Follow the whacking instructions... Inside it's just a few screws and cable routing.

I would recommend replacing the connectors and cables a few inches from the stator if the stator is still good. When my R/R went out I literally cooked the wires where the R/R and the stator connected.

Comment

^^^^^ Thanks for the help guys. Sounds like I may wind up getting a multimeter anyway to test the stator, if only to save the PITA of getting the stator cover and its likely crusty gasket off and back on the engine.

If the stator is indeed toast, thanks in advance for the advice.
                          Last edited by Guest; 10-16-2007, 07:02 PM.

Comment

changed my 83 GS1100G stator

you WILL have to drain the oil so decide if it's new oil and use a clean drainpan for reusing oil or time to change oil anyway

you WILL need a new stator cover gasket ($7 at local dealer)

put bike on center stand and drain oil- put paper or rag under stator cover as some residual oil may leak out

loosen 9(?) cover screws- mine were 8mm bolts so no problems, but if you have philips head then it may be a chore- use largest size that fits so you don't strip

I carefully used a putty knife to break gasket seal and pry cover off- you will feel some pull from the magnetic parts

I didn't have to remove a sprocket cover to free 3 wires as mine is a shaft drive

Now you'll need an impact driver to break free the 3 screws holding the stator in place

clean old gasket from engine side and cover before putting all back together

stator cost me $110 and r/r cost $40

hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by jbs80106 View Post
                              step 4, get rubber mallet and start wacking off on the stator cover....
                              how's that?

Really?? Is that part required?? J/K LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X