another stator question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another stator question

so i was just tinkering with my 1980 gs850 trying to figure out why it wont charge. I took apart what i thought was the stator and it turned out to be the signal generator, and what i though was the R/R is the ignition unit. after 45min of staring i realized that i have no idea where either of these components are, this makes diagnosis a challenge. anyone know where these are on my bike?

p.s. - i know ur thinking i should have the manual, but when it costs 40 and the bike costs 100 uve got to make considerations.

Check page 2, there is a generous fellow member with a PDF file of the manual you need. After you download the manual go to the stator papers and go through all of the tests to diagnose what is bad in your charging system. Clean/check all of your charging system connections and particularly the grounds so you get accurate results on the tests. Make sure your battery is good and fully charged before testing.
    82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
    81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
    83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
    06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
    AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

a few descriptives...

On my 650 the R/R is mounted underneath the bike. If you pull the battery and look underneath there should be a horizontally mounted gray/silver box with some heat sinks on it. That's your R/R.

TO get it off DO NOT try to unscrew it in position, use a ratchet and take off the 2 screws that hold the mounting plate in place.....lesson learned!!

The stator is inside the engine block on the left hand side....

Comment

80 GS850G:
        - stator inside left engine case, (opposite side from signal generator) but you dont need to get into there unless actaully replacing the stator. Can get to the three stator wires under the left side panel (plastic), or maybe in front of that side panel. If still stock condition those wires / connections are stuffed up in a rubber boot. Are individual connectors on individual wires. These connectors were the problem on my 80 850G that I had for 14 years (story on my webpage link). Find these wires / connectors in that boot and can then follow back to R/R.
        - R/R behind same left side cover mounted to battery box. On bottom of battery box if I recall properly. But again, can get to its wires there in that boot.

Other comments:
        Can find Clymer manauls on ebay for 15-20 bucks. CAn find new ones on online book stores for $27. If you are gonna work on bike, it will be quite usefull.
        More that usefull will be a multimeter.

Last edited by Redman; 10-16-2007, 09:19 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by luketorjesen View Post
          so i was just tinkering with my 1980 gs850 trying to figure out why it wont charge. I took apart what i thought was the stator and it turned out to be the signal generator, and what i though was the R/R is the ignition unit. after 45min of staring i realized that i have no idea where either of these components are, this makes diagnosis a challenge. anyone know where these are on my bike?

p.s. - i know ur thinking i should have the manual, but when it costs 40 and the bike costs 100 uve got to make considerations.
          Without a manual you may cause more the 100 bucks worth of problems .It is well worth the money.There are lots of things you need to know about your 100 dollar bike to prevent it from costing a lot more like changing fluids wheel removal,replacing bearings an so on.see how much they cost here....www.themotorbookstore.com they are $23.76 on there sight.
          Last edited by Guest; 10-16-2007, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X