No announcement yet.

Oil Change question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uhm - it's ?ivind Stuan - why ? Now please do tell, as I'm all for fixing such problems by going the least expensive route

Comment

Originally posted by D|sElMiNk
      Uhm - it's ?ivind Stuan - why ? Now please do tell, as I'm all for fixing such problems by going the least expensive route
      I lied to you because i couldnt say your nick name. SORRY OIVIND. I am wondering if i could ask yhou to put your real first name on the signature area. I really like to call my new friends by thier real name,

Comment

Oil ratings

As far as the SE rating goes, you aren't gonna find it anymore. It was an automotive rating for 1979 and older cars. For the most part, each succsesive rating is 'better' than the previous, with lower phosphorous, impurities, etc etc. Current popular is SJ (with SK out now I think).

Table from API website:

SJ
        Current
        Introduced in the API Service Symbol in 1996. For all automotive engines presently in use.

SH
        Obsolete
        For model year 1996 and older engines. Valid when preceded by certain C categories.

SG
        Obsolete
        For model year 1993 and older engines.

SF
        Obsolete
        For 1988 and older engines.

SE
        Obsolete
        For 1979 and older engines.

SD
        Obsolete
        For 1971 and older engines.

SC
        Obsolete
        For 1967 and older engines.

SB
        Obsolete
        For older engines. Use only when specifically recommended by the manufacturer.

SA
        Obsolete
        For older engines; no performance requirement. Use only when specifically recommended by the manufacturer.

Hope this helps..... :roll:

Comment

Is it possible to change the user name without creating a new account ?

Comment

Originally posted by D|sElMiNk
            Is it possible to change the user name without creating a new account ?
            Oivind
            I had to make a new email account with my provider in order to change my user name. I have done it 3 times. Usually the provider allows multiple email accounts.

Comment

How about I just keep my name in the signature, that'll save me some work. If I had to open up the spare e-mail I've got it would mean I had to spend time I'd much rather spend discussing and riding.

All work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy. :twisted:

Also it's kind of a habit, I use this nickname on all internet forums and disucssion groups. Makes it easier to find me (for other people).

Now please, tell me your way of fixing the leaky petcock. I'm all ears, or eyes 8O

Comment

Oivind
                I personally really appreciate what you have done by putting your real name in the signature. How about helping me to learn how to pronounce your nick name and if you care to then please tell me what it means. I wouldnt change my nick name if i were you. It certantly attracts my attention 8O even if i dont know what it means.

Comment

D|sElMiNk:

Fix it right with a repair kit. I found this on Ebay, but I would think you could find K&L at a local shop in Norway.

You can go with a Pingel, but you have to make sure you turn it off every time you shut the bike or you run the risk of putting gas in the crankcase. I prefer a properly working stock petcock.

To each his own, I suppose.

Comment

slopoke : well the first part of the nick is easy, just say "diesel" - the mink part..hm...minx but with no "s" at the end. Hope that made sense.

Dieselmink is apparantly slang for tank driver in the norwegian military, if you're in the infantry you're a regular "mink". I was planning on being in the cavalry when I did my duty - but it looks like I'll be an electronics service technician instead. And I thought it was a cool (though oddball) nick. So far I haven't had any problems with people calling themselves the same as me.

Oh and if you're wondering why the nick is an "e" short, the reason is that on EFnet's IRC servers the nicks can have a maximum length of nine characters

Mink:

G man : I'll check up on those repair kits with my local bike shop, if they can't get any I'll check out the price for a new petcock. Took the bike out for it's first ride with new spark plugs today - after the prerequisite amount of winter-storage hiccups she's now running smooth (and loud :mrgreen: )

Comment

Since the original poster made a confession, I'll make one too. I haven't changed the oil filter in my 850 in at least 10 years. I do keep the oil changed frequently though.

Comment

Thank Oivind for the lesson. I volinteered for the tank division when Viet nam started. they didnt take me because i was deaf and couldnt pass a hearing test.

Comment

Scotty:he tried that already and I STILL can't pronounce it :? Maybe if it is pronounced "phonetically"?
                          BTW Oivand I think you may have ruined the resistor in your spark plug connector.A simple fix is to get BR8ES resistor sparkplugs and eliminate the resistors on the porcelane.Replace them with a strait end and boot.Works fine on my 79 GS850.
                          Could your name be pronounced "Ivan" ?

Comment

Why do you say that about my plugs ? I fitted fresh DR8ES-L plugs yesterday and the bike runs fine, tanked her up on 98 un-leaded. The carbs need work though, that's the next area I need to focus on.

And no it's not pronounced "Ivan" :x

Comment

Gary Gary Gary

that is really a bad thing to do or should I say, Not to do. Oil filters do NEED changed. They are not generally considered a marketing scam by the filter makers.

Not changing it means its gotta be somewhat blocked from all the things it has been filtering, which means your engine is running with less oil flow than it should have. There is no oil no matter how new you keep it, that will protect unless it can get to the parts that need protected.

Comment

can you guys clear up the confuession about the spark plug resistors for me and dieselimx?

Comment

Working...
                                X