Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use Mobil 1 synth oil in my 1980 GS1100e?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use Mobil 1 synth oil in my 1980 GS1100e?

Is this recommended? Just wondering....

Read "Will synthetic oil kill my clutch"

so we do not get into this argument again I suggest you read "Will synthetic oil kill my clutch" It is in the technical info forum, a few posts down, There are currently 2 pages of responses! The simple answer is yes you probably can use the synthetic oil, but a lot of us feel it is a waste of money!

Good Luck

Comment

I use Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oil in my 81 GS1100E. I have no problems. I believe it is better to run synthetic oil in something that gets run hard. Synthetic oil will not over heat like a regular oil can. I use synthetic oil in my Hot rodded street toys but just regular oil in my daily driver and Honda Shadow in those I could se it being a waste of money. When I use Mobil 1 in my race car it is always clean never looks burnt that is what sold me on it. I also drive this car on the street hard and normal commuting actually more than is raced. I think it comes down to how you drive it if you just put around town use regular oil if you run it hard use synthetic. If you own an GS1100 I doubt you just put around town. Also I think any better lube for the top end of a GS1100 is worth the extra price. Even with top oilers.

Comment

Re: Read "Will synthetic oil kill my clutch"

Originally posted by KrazyKarl02
        so we do not get into this argument again I suggest you read "Will synthetic oil kill my clutch" It is in the technical info forum, a few posts down, There are currently 2 pages of responses! The simple answer is yes you probably can use the synthetic oil, but a lot of us feel it is a waste of money!

Good Luck
        Good answer for a KRAZY guy. Karl

Comment

Originally posted by Benny R
          I use Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oil in my 81 GS1100E. I have no problems. I believe it is better to run synthetic oil in something that gets run hard. Synthetic oil will not over heat like a regular oil can. I use synthetic oil in my Hot rodded street toys but just regular oil in my daily driver and Honda Shadow in those I could se it being a waste of money. When I use Mobil 1 in my race car it is always clean never looks burnt that is what sold me on it. I also drive this car on the street hard and normal commuting actually more than is raced. I think it comes down to how you drive it if you just put around town use regular oil if you run it hard use synthetic. If you own an GS1100 I doubt you just put around town. Also I think any better lube for the top end of a GS1100 is worth the extra price. Even with top oilers.
          So there is no validity to the arguement that Mobil 1 could ruin your clutch? Just checking because I'm completely sold on using synth oil in my cars..and would love to do so in my bike.

Thanks!

Rudi

Comment

I would use the motorcycle style Mobile 1 over the car syle. I am not sure if the car oil would not hurt the clutch. The Motorcyle oil is higher than the car oil.

Comment

If your gonna use Synth, use the 15w-50. DO NOT use the 0w/5w/10w-30 oils, those are the ones with the friction modifiers that cause the dredded 'clutch slip'. :twisted:

Comment

Don't use the energy conserving oils, usually the ones up to 30 weight. Otherwise, any other oil is ok if it is within the right weight range, and you chnage it regularly. Synthetics clean out the internals of a motor a bit better, so the first oil change might need to be a bit sooner than usual to get rid of the junk from the motor. Not all synthetics are long drain interval oils either, unless they specifically say so.

Oil leaks may also be exposed due to the cleaner runing characteristics. Any cluthch problem will not be due to the oil, but an emerging or existing problem may be exposed.

Comment

Working...
                X