Thank You! from my GS750ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank You! from my GS750ES

Guys, thanks for all of you help over the last couple months. I had my 83 GS750 ES stripped to the frame to be completely restored. Last night it ran again for the first time since January...

You guys gave me advice on how to modify an 80-82 GS1100 V&H pipe to fit the ES. You talked me into buying the dynojet stage 3 kit instead of buying individual jets. You helped me choose the right Accel coils for my bike, and assisted with my pod filter choice (I ended up with K&Ns; I found a great deal on ebay).

I followed the instructions exactly for jetting the carbs and installing the coils. I rewired the whole bike last night, put a little new gas in the tank and after letting it prime for about 2 minutes to fill the bowls, I choked it and Vrooooom. What a sound! The tune from DynoJet was almost perfect. Very smooth throughout the whole RPM range. And the sound from the V&H was.. disturbing.. to my neighbors anyways at damn near midnight. All I have to do now is repaint the plastic and sync the carbs.

So, to everyone who helped me and all the members of the forum who help keep it going with great advice, kudos and Thank You!

Great to see another one of these bikes back on the street. I still have my 83' GS750ED that I bought new. Now it has ES bodywork and to date 45,000 miles. It has been a great bike and is extensively modified from stock. I will be needing a new pipe as my 15 yr old V+H Supersport is wore out. Can you tell me the exact pipe you ordered and modified as I must have missed the earlier reply. Thanks, and enjoy, Ed.

Comment

Bill, any chance you can give me a hand getting my bike together too? I took all the body parts off in October to get them painted... but I don't remember what bolts go where Plus I need some help tuning it when it is all back together.

Comment

Matt, if you have an E model the bodywork reinstallment should be easy as there is hardly any at all. The tank uses 2 large rubber gromets in the front and 2 small 10mm bolts to hold it in place at the rear. Do not forget to reconnect the leads for the fuel gauge. The rear fender and bikini front fairing bolt on fairly easy, but I could find no pictures of this in my manual. As far as tuning if interested, I have a set of Mikuni flatslide 31MM carbs(off an 86 GSX-R 750) with a dynojet kit installed. These are a great improvement over your stock carbs. I used these at one time when the only mod on my 83 750E was a pipe. I currently use Mikuni flatslide 34MM carbs (off an 86 GSX-R1100) on my 83 750E but I have extensive motor work done now. The 31's should work nice on a fairly stock 750. They bolt right up-you will need pod filters as the stock airbow will not work. Ask around and let me know if interested. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

Are flatslides considered superior to the CV carbs? What's the difference performance wise? Also, what size are the stock CV's on my 700, I assume they are the same as the 83 750. Thanks

Comment

I could use those carbs. I have no idea what state my carbs are in and I have a V&H Pipe. PM me and let me know how much you want.

Comment

Matt and Luke, CV carbs can either have round or flat slides. Basically on CV carbs the butterfly is opened and closed by the throttle cable while the slide is positioned by vacuum output applied to the diaphragm by the engine. This supplies the engine with a more constant velocity of air across the metering system. As for the difference between round and flat slide CV carbs: "flat slide carbs offer great improvement over older round slide carbs due to the flat slide design flowing air faster and smoother thru the venturi. This higher velocity airflow means stronger vacuum at the needle jet which provides more precise metering and better throttle response while giving more mid-range and top end power". I got this info off a race site after doing a search. I bought two sets of these carbs years ago, 31MM(86 GSXR 750) and 34MM(86 GSXR1100), from a friend who owned a speed shop. This was a pretty common mod for these early 80's 750's about 15 years ago as these carbs bolt right up to the stock intake boots. I am currently using the 34's but I am running an 802cc kit with stage 3 cams and the works. The stock CV round slide carbs are 32MM for this model. GSXR's used these flat slide carbs from 85 thru the mid 90's. They will require tuning but are equipped with Dynojet adj. needles. Also, your stock bar mounted choke will not work-the choke is on the carbs themselves. I want $100 and was planning on listing them on Ebay. If you feel more comfortable buying them that way they will be listed along with the stock original carbs under the seller name "dalfort" this weekend. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

Working...
              X