More starting problems - 1983 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More starting problems - 1983 GS1100E

So I fixed the bike up with a couple of minor cosmetic things and replaced one crankcase/stator cover, got it started, then did a couple more things and tried to start it again. I forgot to put it on prime so it turned over a lot and didn't start, so when I remembered about prime I put the battery back on the trickle charger and came back in the morning. It had been turning over freely the night before but now just clicks when I hit the starter button. Here is my list of troubleshooting so far:

Replaced stator
    Put bike in 5th and rotated wheel to check for motor being seized - rotates, if not easily
    12 volts of DC are being delivered to the starter when I push the starting button
    The trickle charger reports the battery is fully charged
    Pulled starter and applied current directly, it spins like would be expected

Any ideas on what could be wrong? My only ideas left are that I fried some wiring trying to start it or that some gear is locked up inside the motor, but my understading of what goes on in there is limited. I'm taking it in on Monday if I can't figure anything out this weekend.

Thanks for any help in advance,
    -Lehrin

Check starter Relay

PS If battery is fully charged then it should be showing ~13.5 volts not 12.

Comment

Originally posted by lehrin View Post

I'm taking it in on Monday if I can't figure anything out this weekend.
      And so ends the life another good GS.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        And so ends the life another good GS.
        Not for just a starter problem!
        PS... where's the starter relay..?

Comment

Originally posted by TheRedlineMan View Post
          If battery is fully charged then it should be showing ~13.5 volts not 12.
          Yes, a fully-charged battery will show about 13.5 volts, but he said 12 is getting to the starter. Considering wha a starter will normally draw, that's pretty good. Most times the voltage gets dragged down into the 11s while starting. That is still not a problem, as long as it does not get below 10. Then there is not enough voltage for the coils to fire the plugs.

Originally posted by lehrin View Post
          Not for just a starter problem!
          PS... where's the starter relay..?
          Follow the large lead from the positive terminal of the battery. It probably goes behind the left side cover and is attached to a little device about 1.5 inches square and 2 inches long. You will see two large wires and one small wire on top of this device. This device is your starter relay or starter solenoid. You already traced the one wire from the battery, the other large wire goes to the starter itself. The small wire goes to your starter button. When the starter button is pressed (assuming the ignition is turned on and the clutch lever is pulled), a small amount of current goes through the small wire to activate an electromagnet in the relay (solenoid) that moves a copper plate into position to connect the two large wires, connecting the starter to the battery.

Many people are confused by relays, thinking they are 'magical' devices, but all they are is a remote-control switch. 8-[

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Oh, I already replaced that I meant solenoid not stator in my first post... (though I have replaced the stator and reg/rect) I thought the solenoid might have been the problem, so I opened it up to see, and pulled that little wire off of its welding:shock:. So, it's not that.
            Last edited by Guest; 10-20-2007, 04:54 PM.

Comment

When you put the stator cover back on did you make sure both washers were installed? #3 in the pic.
              The outer washer tends to stick to the cover when removed or it falls into the engine. I would double check all this before running it.

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Seems these 82Es & 83Es are tough on batterys. Plus there a PITA to get at (the battery). Mine overcharges a bit like 14.5-15vdc. That seems to drink up the water in the Battery. If you have not serviced the battery in a while...do it.
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Checked washers, dunno if they were alright before as one fell off as I was taking it apart, but they are back together correctly and still no dice, so that rules out my theory of something being seized, so battery has been removed to be filled with distilled water tomorrow. Thanks a lot for the help everyone.

Would the low-ish water in the battery really be enough to not kick over the starter? I have tried jumping it with a jumping box and the headlight is very bright...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Many people are confused by relays, thinking they are 'magical' devices, but all they are is a remote-control switch. 8-[

Actually they're an electrically controlled switch, and can be either remotely or locally activated. You're right....... many people don't understand relays.

Comment

I had this problem on a GS1000G, I was cranking it and it just stopped swinging the motor. I knew the battery was low so charged it overnight and again in the morning it would not turn. As I was getting 12volts on the starter when pushing the button I just gave the starter casing a sharp tap with a small hammer and it worked. I assume the brushes may have been slightly stuck as a result of overheating and slow cranking on a flat battery. A break down of the starter showed everything in order and it has never happened again. At the time I suspected the brushes of being worn, but they were good. This is known to be a (temporary) cure for some types of motor car starters sticking at times as well.
                      Last edited by Guest; 10-21-2007, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                        I had this problem on a GS1000G, I was cranking it and it just stopped swinging the motor. I knew the battery was low so charged it overnight and again in the morning it would not turn. As I was getting 12volts on the starter when pushing the button I just gave the starter casing a sharp tap with a small hammer and it worked. I assume the brushes may have been slightly stuck as a result of overheating and slow cranking on a flat battery. A break down of the starter showed everything in order and it has never happened again. At the time I suspected the brushes of being worn, but they were good. This is known to be a (temporary) cure for some types of motor car starters sticking at times as well.
                        I think this is the case with mine, I have decided to try and replace the starter. I have given it a few taps and it does (occassionally) turn over once or a half a turn but I think I just burnt the brushes up or something, so when I get the new one (Jay Regan is selling me one for $40, what a guy!) I'll rip the old one apart and see if I can't tell what's wrong, and maybe fix it and have a backup! If this doesn't do it, I'm totally stumped and done and taking it to someone else!
                        Thanks!

Comment

You can also get an overhaul kit for the starter, brushes and bushes and even the brush holder. If the brushes are worn and too short a similar problem can occur.

Comment

Check out Stockers
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                            X