Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little 550 Katana needs advice

Hi all,
    been out of biking since this bike was still being run in but have bought and just started resusitating a 1982 550 katana and need a bit of advice from others who have opted for this kind of punishment.It looks like this forum is more dedicated to the bigger G's bikes but I,m sure you can find it in your hearts to spread a little knowledge to help save a baby brother.
    The carbs and brake calipers will need a lot of work and expense before they are servicable, so while i do this slowly has anybody any info on more modern carbs and calipers that can be used in the meantime. please advise if you can and I promise to keep you informed of progress and will sort some pics out soon for your amusement and delictation.
    more later thanks all

Go straight at repairing your stock carbs/calipers, it's the shortest path toward getting your bike back on the road.

Order an O-ring kit for your carbs, and maybe some bowl gaskets. Follow the rebuild series shown below. You will also need some intake pipe "boot" O-rings; they are sure to leak so replace them while the carbs are off and replace the boots themselves if they are hard and/or cracked.

For the brake calipers, tear them down and replace the seals. Easy, if somewhat messy job.

Learn to use the Search Function; there is TONS of information on these exact subjects.

Lastly, check the links below for worthwhile info.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Last edited by Nessism; 10-21-2007, 05:38 PM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

WOW impressed with the quick response the Gs carb info looks fantastic its 22.40 Sunday night here and I have just finished a 12hr shift on the railway so excuse me if i,m asking stupid questions.

I have not touched the carbs yet but the bike has been stood for quite a few years and the English weather especially around Manchester (lots of rain and cold) looks to have taken its toll. I was worried that the diaphrams may need replacing as well and if so thought it maybe cheaper and provide better performance with more modern carbs?

with regard to the calipers i have already started to clean these and don,t mind putting the time in but again wondered if modern replacements would be cost effective and produce better results.

But if you think keeping the bike as near to stock as possible is the way to go i would love your opinion.

Just want to get my vision focussed before I start to throw the money at it.

Best Regards

Martin

Only God can create a tree, but only man can ride past it at 120mph

Comment

Thanks Nessism just checked out the parts supplier links you posted and they look good value for money and give the right kit components. Very impressed seem to fit the requirements better than the brit suppliers (not surprised usual rip of Britain mentality over here) it,s sad but to true but it looks like i,ll be getting most of my supplies from the good old U,S od A.

Thanks again

Still worried about the diaphrams though but i suppose I had better take a look at them first.(nice job for my day off tomorrow) Ohh the joys of life

Comment

A few people on here have used GSXR (not sure what they're called over there) running gear such as braking components, suspension, etc, to get better performance out of their scoots (my general term for motorcycles). I'm not really sure what would bolt up to your Katana but maybe you could try some brake calipers off of a GSXR 750. For some reason that seems to be the most common bike of the GSXR family, and you can find the most parts for it, cheapest.

Comment

I would just trying and clean your stock carbs first. You'd be suprised how ugly they can look yet still function. If anything just look for a stock set of gs550 carbs for your bike, that are clean.
            1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Working...
            X