Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 gs550e carb up jetting

Hi
    I have a 79 gs550e , UK model. I junked the original air box for 4 individual cone type air filters...... the bike will not run at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. The main jets are 80s I have been told to go to 110 jets....can anyone offer advice on which jets......the bike has a 4 into 1 motard exhaust...its a Mikuni VM CARB

CHEERS
    DAVIDJOHN

The 110s might be just a tad rich as they are a full six sizes larger. Might end up needing something closer to 105, but reading the spark plugs will be the definitive answer. 8-[

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'd agree with the 105 mains. Depends some on that Motard pipe. I have no experience with that pipe. Is it loud? Is it restrictive?
      If it flows reasonably better than stock, then the 105 main seems right.
      At least 1 1/2, maybe 2 full positions richer will be needed for the jet needles. The stock e-clip position is 3, so you'll need either the 5th position or the 5th position with a .022" jetting spacer placed directly on top the e-clip = (position 4 1/2). Re-install all factory jet needle plastic spacers in correct order.
      Try the stock pilot jet with richer pilot fuel screw (underneath) adjustments. If no joy by the time the screws are out 3 turns from LIGHTLY seated, then go with a 17.5 pilot and set the same screws to something close to factory, about 1 turn out. Fine tuning usually needed.
      The side air screws are adjusted using the highest rpm method.
      Remove the 2 floatbowl vent lines and leave the ports open to avoid fuel starvation when running pods in some conditions.
      Whenever you adjust the VM carb jet needles, you must re-synch the slides.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Gs550e Stuff

Hello David John. I'm A New Member Here,reading All The Threads Looking For 550 Info.mines A 1978 Gs550e. I;m Wondering How The Podding Came Out,,i'm In The Middle Of Doing The Same.its'really Tuff Getting Original Parts For This Bike,i;m Finding Out.i'm Trying To Do All I Can Myself Before Dropping It Off At The Shop.i Destroyed 2 Boots Getting My Carbs Off For Cleaning.they Were Pretty Hard.i'll Be Ordering My Pods And Jets Tommorrow And I'm Trusting The Mechanic On This .just Wondering How Your's Turned Out.oljo From Albam

Comment

Working...
        X