Changing the clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing the clutch

I just ordered the clutch friction plates for my bike, and am wondering if there are any 'gotchas' in the process of changing them. Do I need a new gasket for the cover? TIA

It's been a while since I've done a clutch, so I won't pretend to be an expert. I will however, recommend a new gasket. It will save the annoyance (and cost) of replacing the oil when you have to open the cover up again to replace the leaking gasket. 8)
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

You will need a gasket for sure; as the old one will probably come off in pieces. You should also put a thin film of gasket glue where the two case halves meet on both sides. It tends to leak there if any where. When I do major covers; I apply a thin film of gasket glue to the case and cover and sandwich the gasket in between. Then I locktite the bolts and torque down the cover and leave it alone for a day before adding oil and firing it up; this allows the glue and everything to set up.

Hope this helps,

8) Andre 8)

Comment

Soaking the friction plates in oil before installing is also a good idea. Gets them ready for action.

Comment

Thoroughly check out the condition of the clutch cable as well. Take it off the clutch lever at the handlebars and examine it for any frayed ends.

If the clutch cable is over two years old, replace it anyway.

Comment

The old clutch cover gasket has to be replaced. If you can't easily obtain one, you can use something like Permatex high temp silicone (red or copper colored) in it's place. I did mine a month ago, using the permatex, and it is oil tight. In either case, clean the mating surfaces of the clutch cover well. Get all the old gasket and grime off, and take your time doing it.

Comment

I replaced the clutch plates on my GS750 77' a month ago. And it is really not that difficult.
              First of all: You definitely have to change the gasket. Remember to clean the surfaces so there is nothing left of the old gasket.

1. Tap off the motor oil and soak the new plates in it for about an hour or so.
              2. Unscrew the cover and remove the old plates. Check the metal plates as well. If there is excessive wear replace them. (Mine were worn on one side. I turned them around and mounted them. Works fine).
              3. Usually you mount one friction plate followed by a metal plate, ending with a friction plate.
              4. Mount the cover with gasket and fill the bike up with new motor oil.
              I just used a regular gasket and no glue or the like. It works fine.

Have you thought about replacing the clutch springs while you are at it? I did it myself. If you do so, remember to be gentle with the spring bolts, they are a bit delicate.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks All!

Comment

Working...
                X